Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm doing a valve service on an 05 S2R, just finished taking all the clearance measurements. Did it 3 times actually to make sure it's all consistent, but wanted to make sure my procedure for finding TDC is correct as I got a little confused.

I'm using the wheel to crank the engine while trying to align tick marks on the flywheel. My flywheel appears to have marks for both cylinders, BUT - when a respective mark is aligned, the vertical cylinder appears to be at TDC every time, whereas the horizontal cylinder is at TDC every other time - the pattern I'm seeing goes like this:
- vertical cylinder is at TDC
- crank 90 degrees ccw
- horizontal cylinder is at TDC
- crank 270 degrees ccw
- crank 90 degrees ccw
- horizontal cylinder is NOT at TDC (I can feel / see the piston at the top of the cylinder, but can't even rotate the opener shims on either valve let alone stick a feeler gauge in)
- crank 270 degrees ccw
- and so on

Does it all make sense? The measurements I took are consistent and make sense, I'm a newbie to the whole valve business though so just wanted to make sure I won't mess anything up.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind - the same thing with the vertical cylinder (every other time at TDC). Still - does this make sense?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts