Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 7600miles and I don't believe the previous owner did the 6k service. I also have a tapping metal sound coming from what seems to be the valve area on the horizontal cylinder so I believe I gotta adjust my valves.  So I am trying to measure my clearances and I am getting some odd numbers (pretty damn small clearances?).

I first try to measure my vertical cylinder..I align it at TDC and check through the spark plug hole to make sure. On both intake and exhaust I get .06 mm (that's right not inches) for both loaded and unloaded gaps. I'm thinking hmm..ok maybe thats good since there's no difference. Must be the horizontal as I thought.

I then go to meausre my horizontal cylinder at TDC and when I remove the cover to get to my shims, loads of oil empties from the housing. Holy crap! never read about that one so something seems horribly wrong. I'm confused though that the spark plug on the horizontal cylinder shows absolutely no burning oil in the cylinder. Ok so maybe the oil is supposed to be there?

The horizontal clearances BTW are .06 and .05mm for both loaded and unloaded..sooo where is the tapping noise coming from? And good god whats with all the oil??!

Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Your difference between loaded and unloaded seems to be too small. That difference is your actual gap of the valve closer. I like to keep them at about 0,05 mm but not less because it gets too hard to measure properly (ducati allows from 0,03 to 0,20 mm for the 2V). Are you sure you are loading the closer with enough pressure? And there are two TDC's on a four stroke, one with open and one with closed valves. Make sure you have the right one! (sorry if this is obvious to you)
The oil is supposed to be there :)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The oil puddles in the valve cover & always dumps like that. I try to remember to keep a paper cup handy unless there are people watching when I forget & dump oul all over my tools.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahah..well thats a relief! You know the feeling you get when you're doing something new to your ducati and you think you got all your research done...and wham didn't expect that one.

Anyways, yeah I know of the 2 different tdc's but I figured I had the right ones since I aligned the marks a whole handfull of times and only during some were I able to fit my feelers between... but that doesn't mean I'm doing it right  ;D Yeh come to think of it I'll have to give this another try. This time with lights... or outside.. or with a rearstand

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah so any hints on the clicking noise? I think it's my valves..but is it? And clicking doesn't indicate anything real bad right? Just want my mind at ease before I get to the valve service.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
all ducs, and most 4 stroke engines have some tick naturally. Are you sure it is excessive? I can hear my valves at idle easily, even over the clutch and exhuast.

you can run your closer clearance to 0, and I think Chris K even tries to do that. But, your open clearance seems a little small at .05 or .06 mm

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/adjust/index.html

mitt

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
opwierde said:
Your difference between loaded and unloaded seems to be too small. That difference is your actual gap of the valve closer. I like to keep them at about 0,05 mm but not less because it gets too hard to measure properly (ducati allows from 0,03  to 0,20 mm for the 2V).
Its easier to get this one right if you remove the belts. What you want is a closer gap smaller than you can measure, but which doesn't cause any binding when you turn the cam over by hand. It's _really_ easy to feel "too tight" closers as you turn the belts over - I found I could "fine tune" the closer shims down to the point where a couple of dozen "laps" of my oilstone made a difference (and I was amused to notice my micrometer shows me the difference between a "warmed up" freshly ground shim, and a cooling down shim!)

big

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm well the only reason I was asking about the clicking..and decided to do my valves was because my bud's got a '04 620 and It sounds quite different (mine clicking being one amongst a whole list...) But if you guys think its not a problem
I can hear my valves at idle easily, even over the clutch and exhuast
Sounds about like mine.

And just as a sanity check for me; about the 2 TDCs I assume I'm gonna measure when the valves are closed and the spring tension is off the closer and that im not gonna be able to fit my gauges between the opener and stem if the valves are open since there's spring tension? I'm mainly asking that since I've got clearance measurements (although small) I should have the right TDC?

Thanks guys. You've all been friggin cool

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Hell with all the noise a Ducati makes How do you localize it to valves. But I'll tell you after this last $11ty billion dollar bill for valve "inspection" I hope to never take mine back to the Ducati shop for better or worse. Just for that Mathis thingy.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
bigiain said:
I was amused to notice my micrometer shows me the difference between a "warmed up" freshly ground shim, and a cooling down shim!

big
Me too. I would cool my shims down to a consistent temperature by placing them in my mouth under my tongue for a few seconds. The saliva seemed to get them close to the same temperature every time. Almost burned my tongue a few times though. Just don't swallow them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello guys ,I have some questions about valve adjustments ,
I found this tread and decided to subscribe in instead of posting new one.

My bike is 1997 m900 which I bough soon and which I drove for around 40 miles max. before the winter came. Then I decided to change the belts and do the valve adjustment. The exhaust pipe right after the vertical cylinder shines if the engine works on idle for around 4-5 minutes /when it is dark/. A friend of mine said that it is time for valve adjustment.

On the vertical cylinder I measure

Intake opener: 0.003"
Intake closer: 0.006"

The exhaust opener is so tight that I can't stick in even 0.0015".

What I need to do ,take off the opener shim and shave it with sandpaper till get 0.003"-004" clearance? The intake closer is too loose I think ,should be 000"-0.001" from what I read.

The same is with the horizontal head.

I.O. 0.004"
I.C 0.005"

the exhaust opener is too tight ,I can't measure it.

I believe all the measurements I did are correct, I double checked with another engine rotation to TDC. What are my options ,can you help? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
First, I don't think you're supposed to do this with the engine hot. Second, your best bet, instead of words, is to either buy this video -- http://store.proitalia.com/desmo-valve-adjustment-video-dvd-p-99887.html -- or at least to watch the youtube videos -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj3nSJGPZw

PhilB
I never said I did the measurements on hot engine. I've been watching the videos on youtube, and I read a lot. I understood the principle of valve adjustment ,but I am confused with the measurements. The openers are good ,but the closers are too loose ,and both exhaust valves are unmeasurable , is this a normal wear, or I am wrong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can check them now with the belts on but my first couple adjustments it really helped to just take the belt off to check it like in the CA video. Since it need to come off anyway I would try that before you start thinking about adjusting anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts