Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I ever realized how quickly 6,000 miles can accumulate.

I just had my 12,000 mile service last May. As those of you with 6,000 or 12,000 miles on your bikes know, it's not cheap... that particular stay for my Monster at Hotel Ducati of Seattle set me back nearly $700 (actually it was more like $650 but it sounds more dramatic to say $700).

Anyhow, I am rapidly approaching 18,000 miles on the odometer. I had just about saved up enough to get those Staintune slip-ons I've been dreaming about and now realize that can't happen if I am to continue taking care of my bike's service needs...

SO... my question for the tech-heads with lots of miles under their belts is:

After the 12,000 service interval, do you stay on the every 6,000 miles schedule? I am not a rich man and it goads me to shell out that kind of money to have somebody tear the bike apart to say 'looks good' and then put it back together.

Then again, it would goad me more to neglect my bike and have it wear out.

I'm pretty worthless as a wrench, too, so I'm not even imagining the possibility of doing my own valve job... makes me wish I was friends with a good mechanic... my riding friends are as inept as I am when it comes to the more complicated aspects of motorcycle maintenence (maybe it's because we don't practice Zen Buddhism?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan, you should try Moto International, their rate is less and they do a good job. They are further north on 99 from Ducati of Seattle. They are not authorized Ducati people but, it does not matter on bikes out of the warranty period. They will save you some coin and keep the monster happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, ducati's are expensive. but hey, you knew getting into that right ? Don;t risk it, but are you comfortable with doing your own work ? if you are, you can do it yourself. It will save you lots !!!

I got 120K miles on mine. and guess what, I've been doing the service every 6K its costing me dearly !!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a different take on this. The guys who owns the shop here is Jeff Nash. Ducati Prothunder champ. He said that if you do the vavle adjust correctly (i.e. tight tolerances) then all you need to to is just check them (versus adjusting them) every 6k. He said if it is done right they shoudln't need adjusting for 20-30k miles. Checking them is pretty easy really. Look into it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yep, http://www.ducatitech.com is a great resource. You can also check out http://www.ducatisuite.com. I'm planning on checking my valves next weekend. When I purchased my bike at Ducati Seattle, they said that the valves had been done and the belts replaced, but.... Those belts was DAMN old! So, I'm going to double-check the valves for my own sanity. The process for servicing them looks pretty straight forward, just gotta follow the instructions exaclty. ;)

Now a four-valve I might be hesitant to try adjusting...

Thanks to Chris and MonsterMan for these great resources!!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The 12,000 mile service is more expensive because you have to get new cam belts. You don't want to miss doing that.

I just took my (new to me) ST2 in for a service with 15,000 on the odometer. I'm treating it like 18,000 because I don't know the history of the bike (other than that it's been crashed). So I'll do an oil change at 18,000, and at 21,000 I'll take it in to get the valves checked and new belts installed.

If your valves get out of adjustment, you can damage the valves, valve seats, rockers, and/or camshafts. If you have a cam belt break, you can damage any of those plus the pistons and maybe a few other expensive things.

That's why I stick with the recommended service intervals.

·
Registered
221 Posts
scott is right..and better safe than sorry. But I have made it a point to find really good duacti mechanics and ask LOTS of questions. Now I know how to check the vlaves, belts, etc...It is really good for piece of mind. I was really worried about the whole "desmo" thing and the maintenance involved. Once i found some very experienced and knowledgeable poeple and asked them to teach me..i feel much better. You would be surprised what people will share with you and teach you if you just ask.

My previous comment about being able to let it go...still involved checking the tolerances every 6k and changing belts every 12k. The belts absolutely need to be changed, but it is possible that you may not need to drop $700 bucks if you know how to get in and use a feeler guage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts