Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
any of you knows the law about splitting lane in dc/md/va? in CA, i know that motorcycles are allowed to split the lane (go between two cars) as long as the speed is less than 15mph more than the cars.

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Greetings
According to my brother, Washington, dc po-po (it is ). Lane splitting is illegal. However if traffic is at a stand still its is over looked at the discretion of the officer. dc

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's walking a VERY thin line around here.... might get away with in in DC or MD, but no way in VA.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Cookie said:
That's walking a VERY thin line around here.... might get away with in in DC or MD, but no way in VA.
+1 They'll ticket you in Leesburg jsut for thinking about doing it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 on Cali only

Although you might be able to get away with a slow ride on the shoulder if traffic is boned. Just tell them your bike is air cooled.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would be less inclined to do shoulder than true lane splitting. Shoulder riding is illegal in every state for a reason. Uber dangerous. If someone slams on their brakes and can't brake in time, guess where they're going to try to go... Not to mention the increased likelihood hazards of objects that can pierce your tires, other debris, disabled cars, and emergency vehicles trying to get through.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
heck yea... I know this one women who took the shoulder and her tires picked up plenty of nails.

Emily said:
I would be less inclined to do shoulder than true lane splitting. Shoulder riding is illegal in every state for a reason. Uber dangerous. If someone slams on their brakes and can't brake in time, guess where they're going to try to go... Not to mention the increased likelihood hazards of objects that can pierce your tires, other debris, disabled cars, and emergency vehicles trying to get through.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Illegal, in VA the penalty could be anything from an outright reckless driving, or as simple as failure to maintain lane, at the officers discretion. The shoulder is also a no-no. I have pulled over (in my cruiser) into the shoulder to prevent bikes from using it and issued verbal warnings, 95 is a death wish on the shoulder btween debris and horrible drivers.
And its Po-Po not Poo-Poo.

·
Registered
915 Posts
K9DARKDUCK said:
The shoulder is also a no-no. I have pulled over (in my cruiser) into the shoulder to prevent bikes from using it and issued verbal warnings, 95 is a death wish on the shoulder btween debris and horrible drivers.
I assume you mean using it for getting through traffic and not for going around obstacles or hazards in an emergency. Also, it seems to me that purposely blocking the shoulder to prevent someone from using it, even in a traffic jam, would only cause more problems than it would solve.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Saw a two-wheeled po-po cruising without flashing lights along the shoulder when 267E became a parking lot on my way to the Wednesday meet-up. By the time I got up to the accident at the merge onto 66E, no po-po was there to help the wrecked cars. ???

·
Registered
915 Posts
Genuine said:
Saw a two-wheeled po-po cruising without flashing lights along the shoulder when 267E became a parking lot on my way to the Wednesday meet-up. By the time I got up to the accident at the merge onto 66E, no po-po was there to help the wrecked cars. ???
Might have been out of his jurisdiction. Was it VA State? I think they have jurisdiction on 267. I do know Autostrade International has contracted to "rent" the VA State police to regulate the 14 miles of Greenway. I still don't understand how this is legal....that a corporation can effectively buy a state police agency to regulate private property, but maybe I don't understand it completely. Anybody know the specific contractural or jurisdictional details for the Greenway?

·
Registered
63 Posts
pveltri said:
I assume you mean using it for getting through traffic and not for going around obstacles or hazards in an emergency. Also, it seems to me that purposely blocking the shoulder to prevent someone from using it, even in a traffic jam, would only cause more problems than it would solve.
Yes ..using the shoulder to go around an accident is done often enough, esp when troopers have cleaned debris off and want traffic to keep flowing. However when you are ten miles up-stream of the accident using the shoulder to bypass slow moving cars and trucks is totally unsat. I have seen what happens when a disgruntled motorist pulls out into the shoulder to block a bike...as you know the bike will always lose. I let the riders know the law. I have heard it all...bikes overheating, low on gas whatever. But the shoulder on 95 and HOV is a nightmare. If I could have prevented a bike or car from illegally using the shoulder and he/she wrecks hurting themselves or for that matter another motorist..guess what, I could be held liable by my agency and va state for a failure to act. As a federal law enforcment officer with peace officer status in VA we are obligated to take action when an unlawful and potentialy harmful act takes place and we are in a position to prevent it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This old [email protected] split his first lane last Saturday. Well, sort of. God, it was thrilling! I came up to the car line for the White's Ferry on the MD side. Must have been 30 cars waiting -- more than a single boat-load for sure. Most of the line was on the public road. So I just drove around them in the oncoming traffic lane (the ferry was still out in the middle of the river, so no oncoming traffic to worry about). Pulled up ahead of the first car just as the ferry arrived. Was waved on directly to the front of the starboard-side row, where the bikes go. No one said a word. They're really bike-friendly there.

BTW, the White's Ferry crossing is a must-do for bikers. Two bucks, beautiful surroundings, runs continuously and leads to some nice roads on either side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got pulled over last week for going on the shoulder.. dont be in a hurry and dont ride on the shoulder.. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts