Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I am a performance baised guy, my 363whp S13 Silvia is primer gray. This idea should be NO representation of my thoughts of moto, or performance. I am a performance over pretty guy ALL THE WAY!

So I have been kicking around and idea for the past... oh year or so. It came to me when I was out riding with some stunter guys from work, with all the LED lights under their fairings. So here it goes....

The valve cap on my rear wheel is steel, thus would trigger a magnet switch each time it passes. Much like a trigger wheel ignition system. But rather then telling a coil to fire, it fires a strobe light near the rear wheel. This means every time the valve steam passes the trigger, one full rotation of the wheel, the strobe would fire. As you speed up, the strobe fires faster and faster each time that same valve passes the trigger. This would make the wheel apear to be standing still reguardless of the speed at which you are traveling.

Flame away ;D

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
And if you had one of those spinner hubcap things it would appear to be standing still even when you're stopped. That would be amazing!

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's a cool idea wakaba. I wouldn't put one on my bike but I'll bet there is a market for it. Maybe not on this site, but it's there. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
132 Posts
wakaba said:
Disclaimer: I am a performance baised guy, my 363whp S13 Silvia is primer gray. This idea should be NO representation of my thoughts of moto, or performance. I am a performance over pretty guy ALL THE WAY!
You have a Silvia? What part of the world are you in? I wish we would have gotten them here in the states, instead of the soccer-mom 240.

I'm not down with LED's blinking on my bike. In most states, anything that strobes or is a different color than the standard white in the front red in the rear is illegal.

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Danimal said:
You have a Silvia? What part of the world are you in? I wish we would have gotten them here in the states, instead of the soccer-mom 240.

I'm not down with LED's blinking on my bike. In most states, anything that strobes or is a different color than the standard white in the front red in the rear is illegal.

-Danimal
I live in a city about 5min from the outskirts of Tokyo, but will be back to the states in about two years.

The light show would be illegal, but just as illegal as the ghey ass under car neon [laugh]

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tireflys and the like will not work for what I am talking about....

Imagine you were at the club, and the strobe light was the only thing going. The dancer on the floor would appear to be moving in a short choppy motion. This is because the rapid flash of the strobe is only giving your eyes and brain a visable, and processable, image for a fraction of a second at a time.

If this theory is applied to a wheel that is spinning as wheels do, and a light flashes each time a given point around the wheel passes a stationary point in the bike. No matter what the speed of the wheel, it will appear as if the wheel was stationary. Due to the fact that the only image your brain is allowed to process is when the single point of the wheel passes the trigger point.

A tirefly or the like, flashes an LED at a given rate, so depending on speed of the wheel the LED will flash at different points in the wheels revolution, leaving a nearly random flash.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Great, kids everywhere having epileptic fits.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'm with coastie on this one. not something i'd put on my bike, but there's certainly a market for it out there.

fab one up, and see if it looks as trick as you think it will. then post some pictures. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I'd try it if I could get the wiring to work right. I'm probably gonna put blacklight LEDs on my red 1k. I want it to light the carbon stuff all funky. Don't worry, i won't turn them on when I'm on the road much so you guys won't all be embarrassed about me being squidly.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think it's an interesting idea actually, agree that it doesn't belong on my bike, but I'm thinking it'd be in the same vein as spinners for show cars and people who want to spend the money especially if someone spent a lot of money on really nice rims and want to show those off when the car's actually moving... etc...

the only problem I see is where would you mount the stationary sensor so it doesn't visually mess things up?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like it. For someone else's bike. Creatively, wonderful. Not my taste or style. But, I love the idea and I'm sure there's a market for it.

the only problem I see is where would you mount the stationary sensor so it doesn't visually mess things up?
I'd imagine you could put the sensor on the swingarm. I don't know how big it is. Or, how close it'd have to be to the valve stem.

But, if it has a range of ~4" and you have a SSS, you could prolly put the sensor on the inside of the swingarm so it matches up pretty close to the valve stem. run the line to the strobe and maybe hide the strobe under a belly pan so it shines up at the wheel.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
I like it. For someone else's bike. Creatively, wonderful. Not my taste or style. But, I love the idea and I'm sure there's a market for it.

I'd imagine you could put the sensor on the swingarm. I don't know how big it is. Or, how close it'd have to be to the valve stem.

But, if it has a range of ~4" and you have a SSS, you could prolly put the sensor on the inside of the swingarm so it matches up pretty close to the valve stem. run the line to the strobe and maybe hide the strobe under a belly pan so it shines up at the wheel.
haha, sorry, I meant on a car as the wheels are completely exposed, but now that I think about it, you could mount the sensor setup on the wheel well/hidden part of the wheel instead of on the exposed side, not a bad little project really

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
no magnet would reach my rear valve stem. It sticks straight up in the middle of the tire, and the magnet would have to be about an inch away from the bike. The front tire has a 90 degree stem and this could work. I actually almost ripped it out when i put a tirefly on, and realized it was pushing against the brembos. But on a dual sided swing-arm I can see what you mean, but is it worth the time and effort. You could probably strip your engine and rebuild it with all the time you will spend hiding wires and getting the magnet placement right. And then you got to get that crap to stay in place when you hit potholes and rain and 120mph. after the first coat of brake dust and tar cover the pretty diode and cake up the magnet 6 months later you'll look back at the time and effort wasted on making a bike pretty (because girls love shiny flashy objects that their brain can only process a a fraction of a second at a time)when you have a really fast freakin car you could of driven to the club, and then take them home in.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
it can all be done with popsicle sticks, zip ties, and duct tape. I just want to find where to get the switch. I can run the LEDs no problem.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could mount a magnet to a small bracket off one of the disk bolts outside the caliper's reach. Than attach the sensor to the caliper, and run the wires along the rear brake line. Two strobe bulbs hidden under the side covers.

Duke Dave said:
after the first coat of brake dust and tar cover the pretty diode and cake up the magnet 6 months later
Do you wash your bike....... ever?

Davesax36 said:
it can all be done with popsicle sticks, zip ties, and duct tape. I just want to find where to get the switch. I can run the LEDs no problem.
switch is no issue, how fast can an LED fire at full power? It would need to fire at something like 5,000 times a min.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts