Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a 1999 M900S that im thinking of buying, private sale.
It has 15Kmiles on it, with no service records available as the present owner claims to have only had the bike for 2000 miles. I got the VIN off the frame and will check the local dealers to see if the cam belt/valve adj are on record.
theres a lot of carbon fibre on the bike:
both fenders
bikini fairing
clutch cover
side panels
belly pan/fairing or whatever its called
cf cans
No rear seat cowl...
I asked him what happened to the seat cowl, he said it too was carbon fibre, and the hardware
securing it was always loosening - one day it blew right off.

My first question to anyone kind enough to reply: Is all this carbon stock or aftermarket? The seller told me it was stock...

2nd question, unrelated to the carbon.... The frame is black. The bike is black. The front wheel is black. BUT oddly enough the rear wheel is silver/grey...whats up with that?

3rd, and final question - should I cough up the $100 to get someone to do a purchase inspection?

Any info is much appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
175 Posts
well the carbon bits are probably not stock but could be oem Ducati Performance parts.
i know the s4 foggy has lots of carbon stock
as far as the wheels, one could have been damaged and swapped

i would pay to have it inspected, check the frame for alignment, check the valve clearances and belts just to be safe

hope it's a good deal

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Is all this carbon stock or aftermarket?
Only sidepanels are stock.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Sounds shady. Unless you're getting this bike super-cheap, I'd be careful. There are plenty of other monsters out ther for sale... especially on this site alone. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Whats the asking price? Does it run and ride like it should? Do you have a Duc-savy friend who could look at it with you?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Are you the guy I saw at Martin's in Pa the other day?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the posts, you guys are awesome!!!
To answer alll your questions.....
The seller is askin 6k Canadian (thats about $5100 USD)
The bike sounds killer, but I dont know how she rides as there is no insurance on it at the moment
No Duc-savy friends around.
Sorry, Im not the dude from "Martins in Pa", Im in BC Canada

I have called the local Ducati dealers - flashin the VIN at 'em and no-one seems to have the bike on record. With the info I have from your replies as well as the dealers I will not even consider buying this bike without an inspection. I figure it will more than likely require the valve and belt work. If the frame is true then I might make an offer.....any ideas on what a fair price would be?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
1-the fenders and clutch cover may have been stock carbon too

2-wheel has been changed.

3-i would pay if it was a dealer you trusted.
keep in mind that if you dont know the service history, you should plan to doing it right away.
(valves, belts, misc fluids, and maybe tires and chain/sprocket

i like the 99 M900S ;D

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Canadian Ducati market, so I would hate to comment on the price. The fact that the wheel has been changed out raises my eyebrows a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gr8ciehall - nice bike congrats! Its in much better shape than the one Im looking at.
Thanks for the link, gave me a few more things to think about. So I layed it all out in an email to the seller and he agreed with everything I had to say, said he would be willing to drop the price by $1000 and I havent even made an offer yet. One more thing I forgot to mention.... the rear fender and turn signals are strange..carbon fibre fender...but instead of the signals jutting out the side of the bike theyre sort of embedded close together in the rear fender. Its ugly and has got to go, but more importantly, taking the rear wheel, the cowl and the fender into consideration, I think the bike has been rear-ended. hmmmmm.

·
Registered
175 Posts
another thing to consider, if they skipped out on the 12k service you may as well add that $1000 right back into the price, cuz it's not a cheap service

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
smashedmelon said:
gr8ciehall - nice bike congrats! Its in much better shape than the one Im looking at.
Thanks for the link, gave me a few more things to think about. So I layed it all out in an email to the seller and he agreed with everything I had to say, said he would be willing to drop the price by $1000 and I havent even made an offer yet. One more thing I forgot to mention.... the rear fender and turn signals are strange..carbon fibre fender...but instead of the signals jutting out the side of the bike theyre sort of embedded close together in the rear fender. Its ugly and has got to go, but more importantly, taking the rear wheel, the cowl and the fender into consideration, I think the bike has been rear-ended. hmmmmm.
If you can, take some pics of the bike and post them up. I would be more than a little concerned as well about that rear wheel and the guy is already willing to drop it $1000. Either he's really motivated or he's hiding something. If you must have it, shell out the money to have it inspected. It will lay a lot of your concerns to rest or bring new ones to light. Take Care.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Seriously, this sounds like its been dumped...or an auction fix up...the wheel gives it away...to my knowledge, Ducati made no CF parts "factory".....it could be DP aftermarket, but thats not factory...belly pan gives it away. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
speaking from recent personal experience, spend the $100 to get the bike checked out. you might even ask the dealership to agree to credit that amount back to you for your first service on whatever bike you eventually end up with.

i wish i'd done it on my bike, and after spending $2500 on a major service, replacing all rockers, tires, brake pads, etc. right after i bought it, i realized that i could have gotten a much newer, nicer monster with that money.

it was the first time i bought a bike without having it inspected first, and i paid the price...and then some.

this is ESPECIALLY true in your case, because the bike sounds a bit sketchy.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
1-the fenders and clutch cover may have been stock carbon too
Just curious, which models had that? Stock, not DP that is.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
some 99-01 900S models...but the exact mix changed from year to year (and sometimes bike to bike!)
some lucky boogers with 2000 M900S's got an Ohlins shock too.

i think mine had a front fender, sprocket cover, clutch cover

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks to all of you for your great advice. I have moved on from this deal, just a bit too sketchy for my liking.
I've stumbled across a brand new yellow 2001 M900sie at a dealership, they have it packed away in storage due to lack of interest. It has 0 miles, no mods completely stock and comes w/full warranty.
listing for 12K CAD it seems high in comparison with the 2007 s2r1000 listing at 14K CAD. I have to figure out what sort of offer I'm going to make them since the asking price is too high and it seems like they really want to move it....hmmm maybe 9k
cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
14K CAD (new '07 1000S2R) is about 11.62K USD - outta my range
12K CAD (new '01 M900S) is about 10K USD - still outta my range
I'm sure theyre willing to move on the list price though
I am considering offering 9K CAD which would be about 7.5K USD

how does the Canadian price compare to the US market?

It would have the full factory waranty, I'd probably ask them to change the belts though since I think its 2yrs/12K miles??? - maybe throw in a pair of slip ons to sweeten it up which brings up another question - should you break in the engine before putting on a new exhaust system? does this affect the warranty?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts