Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a tank protector needed on a Monster tank?

I'm thinking not...However, I put one on.

Has anyone ever had any problems damaging the paint on their tank? (from jacket, pants, belts or zippers) I think that the normal upright riding position keeps you far enough from the tank to rub or scratch the paint.

The majority of the bikes that I've seen have the tank protector in place.

Do you use protection? or not... Is using tank protection really needed?

I'd really like to hear your thoughts and comments.

RossoDuc

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also have a tank protector but I use clip-ons and noticed that my Aerostitch as a zipper that would hit the paint. :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
I tend to crowd my tank, so I've got one. It's made from rubber and it looks like the tread of a Pirelli Dragon. It's pretty cool, actually.

After one season of use it looks pretty ugly, so I'd have to say that it's doing its job...

That being said, the sides of my tank is getting "buffed" from the seams of my jeans. I'm thinking about switching to a CF unit that will cover both the rear and the sides of the tank.

Bottom line: Get one. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
If you have a zipper, snap or buckle on - it will find the paint. Better to use a protector. When I got my bike used it had a tire tread type installed. Looks good to me.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I noticed scratching after a few weeks, even though no metal zippers were making contact. I installed a stick-on protector that cost me about $7.50 at the local dealer. I wasn't sure it looked "cool enough" at first, but after that style was no longer available I began to like it more and more. I've had several comments recedently asking where to get one.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't use one. 12,000 mi and no real wear on the paint.

I have clip-ons and lean in when riding aggressively. But.... my riding gear has protected fasteners. There's nothing there but leather, cordura or rubber (coated snaps), depending on what I'm wearing.

I figured too, if it gets scratched or scuffed, I can cover it LATER. What's the difference?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I use a Tank Slapper on my tank. It's great because you can't see it unless you're looking for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I like Don's answer. My jacket leaves no metal exposed either, but if the tank gets scratched I can touch it up or put a sticker on it later.

This is sorta related to one of my pet peeves - car bras. Or sofa slipcovers. Or those transparent seatcovers they used to use in cars. Who are you saving it for?

-Don

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to thank everyone for their prompt response. I guess that we have a mixed field; yet leaning more towards the added protection.

" This is sorta related to one of my pet peeves - car bras. Or sofa slipcovers. Or those transparent seatcovers they used to use in cars. Who are you saving it for? "

This is great! That is exactly how I feel. Saving it for? I really dunno... thats my point. ONE scratch on the sacRED Duck and she would never be the same.

Still like to hear "yes" or "no" from others.

Thanks again,

RossoDuc

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pro-tech also makes a clear protector that is hard to see and doesn't take away from the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've been thinking of getting the MagKnight. It's a magnetic tank bra basically, available in colors to match the bike, carbon look, clear, etc. You can find them at http://www.mag-knight.com/ .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a crappy magnetic one i picked up at the local Yamy dealer for cheap. I've been drooling for the Ducati Corse tank protector but the price is a bit crazy.

Anyone use the plastic stick on film?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like scratches and boot marks myself. You should see my swingarm.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Big mistake not to put a protection sticker.It's 100% sure that you will scratch your tank someday by your belt or zipper or something like that .It's not expensive and also good looking ,so buy one .

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i use the tank slapper clear film.. works great.
very easy to apply, and remove.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have the Mag-Knight Dark for my 620 Dark! Looks great, can't even hardly tell it's there! And like everyone else, I have scratches under it , after the 2nd scratch , I had to get something and the Mag-Knight goes up and around! And the carbon fiber one on the bike pic in this thread looks good on that monster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts