Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that says he can put a stout bar in a hole that goes all the way through the engine case of his SS/CR to lift the bike's back wheel up. He does this to remove his shock. Do any of our beloved Monsters have this feature? And, if so, is this accepted practice?

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
If you remove the rubber plugs in the swingarm pivot a 1/2 inch solid rod will pass through. Then you can use 2 axle stands to hold the bike up. Now it's possible to remove either the shock or rear wheel. I remove the two bolts holding the rear master cylinder so as to not place any undue stress on it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If you remove the rubber plugs in the swingarm pivot a 1/2 inch solid rod will pass through. Then you can use 2 axle stands to hold the bike up. Now it's possible to remove either the shock or rear wheel. I remove the two bolts holding the rear master cylinder so as to not place any undue stress on it.
great tip, thanx

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I actually made a 'center stand' that uses that hole through the engine. I just slip the stand under the bike, put a rod through the stand and that hole, then put the bike up on the center stand just like any other. Very easy, very cheap to make, very stable, and removable. Takes about 10 seconds.

01 M900

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned in the initial post that my friend spec'd a bar not to exceed 3/8". I know this may be a bit of a stretch, but can anybody tell me if it's true that his SS/CR can take nothing more than 3/8" while our beloved Monsters can take 1/2"? I'm thinking 1/2" is a lot stronger than 3/8" and, therefore, much more preferable. And, we sure it's 1/2" and not 3/8", right?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There are two places to do this.

1) there's a hole all the way through the bottom of the block at the back of the sump. That will only tale a 3/8"
2) there's the hole mentioned above in the hollow swingarm mounting bolt. That will accept a 1/2"

Either one works.

The Ducati center stand uses the block hole (and one of the rear-set mounting holes on either side)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not see a hole at the backend of the sump; this is on an '04 M1000s.i.e. w/standard footpegs, etc. Could it be this model doesn't have the hole or that it is occupied by a footpeg bracket?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Could be.

I know my '99 well. I doubt that any 900 is different, but the 1000 is a significantly revised engine. Who knows?

Still a bit surprised. I thought the 1000 revs were in the top end. Didn't expect a bottom end revision.

In any case, the swingarm bolt should still be available for your lifting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris,

Looks like you're using the footpeg bracket mounting points for the stand and you've not used the swing arm pivot hole (unless you replaced the rubber plug).

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
So that stand uses the two footpeg bracket holes (which are tapped) and the hole at the back of the block that goes all the way through? Is that enough to support the entire bike? I want to build a similar stand to let me remove the frame for powdercoating purposes, but i was afraid those holes wouldn't be enough to support it. Looks like it works well enough to me.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Here's a couple others
Anderson, uses rear hole to lift the back only (i have a motowheels one that looks similar)

CycleCat uses front and rear holes to lift entire engine

im supposed to be using one of these bad-boys sat. to remove my frame [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff,

Try to stay focused. We're talking about, or we were talking about, stout bars, holes in cases and '04 M1000DS's. Not deluxe stands. Not home made stands. But bars, holes, and Monsters.

I know you're excited about your new stands, and I agree they are nice, but stay inside the lines.

SR

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, first of all, my last post was intended to have a humorous bent to it. I suppose I should be more liberal with my smilies or be more obvious. That said, no offense intended Jeff.

However, if one were to search on "hole in case" or "metal rod", you don't really come up with the subject at hand. Those stands don't really address the topic of putting a bar through a hole of my '04 M1000DS. I'm not even sure now if I have both the holes that have been mentioned.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
On my stand I use the engine through hole with a 3/8 rod. I did not have to 'move the right side rear set. All I had to do was adjust the brake pedal up and I then ground a very small notch in the pedal for extra clearance.

But that is on a 900. don't know what they changed on the 1000's

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
10mm bolts are pretty big. They have a lot of clamping force, shear strength, and tensile strength. All those bolts are stainless, too, which is like 1/2 the rating of a grade 8 bolt, which runs about 50 tons/inch of tensile strength and can generate a few tons of clamping force.

:) Chris
Its not really the size or material of the fastener that concerned me, but the spacing between the two and their location on the case. Thanks for your input :) Ill build my stand this weekend. Hopefully ill be frameless by sunday :)

Kevin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts