Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members!

Today is a momentous occasion for me. I purchased my first Ducati... a 2001 750 Monster Dark off of ebay. I'm excited as hell to go and pick it up.

But heres the thing ...before the auction's end, i made sure to ask if the owner had all the keys to which he replied yes.

I won the auction, put a deposit down, and asked once more to double check that he had the "red key." (My cousin mentioned that this was important but didn't explain why... i know i should have done my own due diligence but whats done is done). Anyway, the guy got back to me and said that he only has 2 black keys... no red key. He said that hes selling the bike for a friend of his who is the original owner and reports getting the bike from a Ducati dealer in 2001 and never getting a red key.

Could this bike be pre-immobilizer? If so is the only way of telling by looking at the ignition switch and seeing if there is "a black guard around it."?

I've done some research here on the forum and that seems to be the info i could find.

Essentially... should i freak out? If it turns out to have an immobilizer and no red key is it not worth buying?!!???

Is this red key business only on bikes with fuel injection?

Please help!!

Thanks all!
I'm really excited to fully join this club once i get my bike!!

Best,
G

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my red card'd 2001 m750 off craigslist and after hanging on this site, also inquired about the red key. The own (who said the bike had one previous owner before him) said he never got a red key and didn't know what that was about. He gave me two black keys. It's been about 6 months and one major update (12k service) and a lot of mods later and still have not ran into a situation where I needed a red key.

Would be good to know if these older monsters had red keys though...

Let us know how much you got the Duc for, too! I haggled mine down to $4,200 but it was in impeccable condition (beautiful sounding engine, 9.5k miles) and Arrow high-mount exhaust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So get this... new update... apparently 750s of that vintage have carbs and thus there is no immobilizer. The seller double checked the ignition switch and there was no plastic surround. I'm hesitant to say what i paid for it... because its not completely finalized. I send a downpayment and this weekend when i pick it up i'll give the remaining bread and it will be my bike officially!! SWEET. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You got the bike for 3K, I was going to buy it but found a 2003 800 for 3200 locally. It looked nice in the pictures, needs a chain but thats about it. NICE!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very easy way to tell. I install car alarms on cars all day long, the quickest easiest way to tell is wrap the black part of the key in aluminum foil. I just tested it on my bike to make sure it wouldn't f it up. I did a double layer wrapped four times. make sure the bottom of the black where the key is inserted is covered. clean off the little pieces of foil before you insert it into the ignition. if its a chipped key this blocks the immobilizer from reading the RF signals. The bike will act as if its going through the POST (power on self test) IE the needles will peg out on the gauge cluster, and the immobilizer led will go solid, but the bike will not start.

Take the key out, foil off and start the bike just to make sure.
I cant give you advice on getting it without the red key, all i can say is I was assured from the dealer to keep in a fireproof safe, separate from my red card.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I recently bought a Repo'ed 2007 S4RS online. It came with only one black key, which kind of panicked me after learning about the immobilizer and the cost, if I were to lose the key.
But, I found out its no big deal, you can buy Ducati "Chip" keys here: http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/ducatichipkey.html
For $15 bucks a pop, then have them cut & programmed to your existing key by any high-end car dealer, Lexus, Lincoln, Benz, Etc.
For under $60 bucks I got two additional keys and don't have to worry anymore about spending thousands if I lose my key!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great advice CCEMN1.

As for the older carb'd bikes. My tachometers don't "peg" up and down when I power on the Duc. I've test drived newer ones though and seen that. I guess that's a good signifier to tell if you're bike is new enough to have an immobilizer or not.

3k is a nice price if it runs well and doesn't have those classic dents. I would pay extra for that Ducati red though and that's probably what I did (not to mention the Arrows).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts