Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not me, but check out the latest edition of Cycle World. It contains a Peter Egan article on them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I read that article too. Now I want one.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I didn't even realize I had that! I'm researching them a little for my dad, between that article and videos I've found online, I"m kinda wanting one also! 55mph though........OUCH

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
My uncle-in-law has the Gear-Up version. Very cool bike. Gets loads of looks and props everywhere he rides. The sidecar take work to attache and remove. The bike is a 2 wheel drive so it is a blast on-road and in the snow. The ural is not really designed to exceed ~55 mph. Lots of vibration. Try doing a search on nytimes as they did a feature on the Ural about 4-5 month ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
CDawg said:
My uncle-in-law has the Gear-Up version. Very cool bike. Gets loads of looks and props everywhere he rides. The sidecar take work to attache and remove. The bike is a 2 wheel drive so it is a blast on-road and in the snow. The ural is not really designed to exceed ~55 mph. Lots of vibration. Try doing a search on nytimes as they did a feature on the Ural about 4-5 month ago.
Talked to the Ural importer guy and he said all the 07 models will be designed not to seperate the rig from the bike.

I'm leaning heavily towards one. But, the 55mph thing's a bit of a hangup.

On a side note, Urals use Ducati switches and (i believe) ignition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No experience with Urals, but I do have a Dnepr with sidecar. It is a blast to ride, but 55 mph is about it.
I have had a lot of mechanical problems with the bike, to the point where I have removed the sidecar and have
bought a 1985 K100 BMW to mount the sidecar on. I believe the Urals have a better reliability reputation, but do expect a fair amount of problems.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The joys of living in FL... I have one here on extended loan from a guy who lives in the mountains and wants a bike to ride when he flys out of the snow.

It will run/hold 65 on the flats in FL.. It would not hit 50 running up Mt Mitchell in NC last summer. Ot hit 80 down the mtn with a tail wind and my wife in the sidecar. Lousey gas mileage, grinding tranny, wobbly steering and a huge amount of fun to ride. After last weekend, my wife is all over getting one of our own.

Doc

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dad has Dnepr also, it's been a good bike. We bought it as NOS (it was a 1993, bought it a few years back) for $2,000. Have had to go through the carbs, put on a new alternator, etc. Overall its fairly reliable, if incredibly crude.

Remember, It's Russian....

·
Registered
114 Posts
A buddy of mine has two of them - one of them still won't run. He even pulled a T-Shirt out of one of the cylinders (supposedly left in there at the factory).

He might sell one cheap if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I don't know if you would be interested in this option, but you can get a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a BMW engine which would go faster. I was looking into this until I got hit with a bunch of unexpected home repair bills.
http://www.mycj750.com/mycj750_aboutus.htm
http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/hist.htm

Chang Jiang is the English name of the Chinese (PRC) cycle and scooter manufacturer. The factory still uses the older English spelling style for its English-language literature and sales instead of the modern standardized Pinyin spelling (Qian Jiang).
CJ-750
A Chang Jiang CJ-750 M1The company is most famous for the CJ-750, which is based on the Soviet IMZ M-72 motorcycle (that, in turn was based on the BMW R71 sidecar motorcycle).

The Chang Jiang 750 motorcycle was produced in China starting in 1957. It was produced originally for the Chinese military and used an opposed four stroke flat twin cylinder engine displacing 750cc.

There were actually several companies making the Chang Jiang motorcycle besides Chang Jiang.

Modern production
Currently, Chang Jiang also makes single cylinder two and four stroke motorcycles and lookalike scooters (copying the Vespa)

Today, there are many Chang Jiang motorcycles being used in China. A smaller number are being restored from old parts and exported.

You can get these bikes pretty cheap because they are restored. They come solo or with a sidecar. There are a few different sites, but the one I included has the BMW conversion.
Well, good luck whatever you decide.
:)

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Euclid Baker said:
the urals are nice looking from a distance, but they are engineer to crap specs. major rattletraps.

they need to update them a lot. the tooling marks on the 2wd axle is scary looking!
I think that's the idea. They don't claim to be anything other than they are.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
siemonw said:
I think that's the idea. They don't claim to be anything other than they are.
Dnepr http://dneprmasters.com/dnepr.php
Motorcycle with sidecar DNEPR-800cc

This model was designed to provide the utmost of comfort for you and your companion on unhurried scenic rides.
Add the ability to remove the sidecar and ride solo and you get the best of both worlds!
Looking for a motorcycle with a sidecar that won't break the bank
This is your chance to own the bike at low price!!!
You are goin to love this motorcycle!!!

The engine in this vehicle was upgraded.
The most problem with this kind of vehicle was an overheating engine.
We solve this problem by upgreading an engine, now engine in this vehicle can hold up to 3.7 litters (1gallon) of oil.

THIS BIKE HAS AN AMAZING STRONG AND FAST ENGINE.
Overall dimensions Length, not greater than 98.42 inches.

Width, not greater than 66.92 inches.

Height, not greater than 43.30 inches.

Wheel base, not greater than 60.23 inches.

Road clearance, not less than 4.92 inches.

Dry mass, not over 715lb.

Maximum load, not greater than 572lb.

Capacity, cc 800.

Starting with electric starter.
Air filter with paperboard filter element.
Gearbox four speed with reverse.

There's no limit to what you can do with this great bike!!!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i ran into a guy with one downtown, once. guy even gave me a ride around the block in the sidecar. it was a hoot! :D

quite the unpretentious motorcycle. nobody makes it out to be anything more than a east-bloc copy of a ww2-era bmw.

i'd buy one, and have a hell of a time riding it around town.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you can find one, pick up a Dnepr. It's basically the same thing, they are just East German/Russian instead and much better mechanics overall.

I saw one go for 5 bills recently.

The CJ (Chang Jiang) is not bad, I think they are better done than the Urals.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've looked at the Urals a lot and they seem to be getting better. However I intend to stay far away from them. I think you have to read Peter Egan's article closely and between the lines. I think he said gas milage was 27 mpg. He developed some mystery trans or diff issue that just went away. Since when do mechanical problems just go away. That one will return. Peter is a great guy and would never come out and say this bike is a piece of crap and he loves funky stuff as much as everyone on this thread. A cruising speed of 55 just won't cut it in my state. I'd end up with a semi grill permanently stuck up my tail pipe. I understand the attraction to something funky, but I'd rather pick up an old Triumph or Elefant for funky. Maybe the Urals will keep getting better. They now have descent brakes so in a few years they may do 70 and get 40 mpg.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They look like a fun country toy. 4 wheelers can't go on the highway and they're fun in their own way, I believe these will be similar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts