Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

After a day at the track with my "new" '98 M750, I realized that I'm bottoming a fair amount in the rougher corners. I'd like to upgrade to adjustable forks on the cheap. What would upgrading to SS or 748/916/998 forks entail? Would I need to change out the triple clamp also?
While I'm at it, I'm considering upgrading to dual front discs. I read a few older posts, but was wondering if there's any more compatibility issues in switching between Monster brakes and those from other Ducks? If I were to upgrade to 916 or SS forks, could I just add a second caliper (and disc, m/c, etc), or do I need to get a whole new pair to match?

M

·
0 Posts
Get earlier non gold nitrated SBK forks before 99 with the 40mm mounts. You'll also need a 25mm axle wheel or 25mm bearings and spacer, speedo drive, new brake lines and a single pin caliper.

Give us a call if you need help. We usually have all the parts in stock to make the SBK conversion.

S

·
0 Posts
although superbike forks are better performing, it'll be a much simpler process if you can track down adjustable forks from a pre'99 supersport. same bore for the top and bottom tripleclamps, same axle diameter, same spacing for the brake caliper mounts and fender. if you can find a set that's STRAIGHT, mentally factor into the purchase price the cost of openning them up and changing the fork oil cuz from '98 or earlier, they'll be due for servicing. if you find 'em extra cheap, and are planning on changing their oil anyways, see about getting racetech valves installed too. might be the easiest/least pricey way to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it'll be a much simpler process if you can track down adjustable forks from a pre'99 supersport. same bore for the top and bottom tripleclamps, same axle diameter, same spacing for the brake caliper mounts and fender.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! That sounds like the way I want to go. That way, I can upgrade one piece at a time - forks first, then maybe dual front disc setup down the road. Thanks a lot. Keep the suggestions coming!

S

·
0 Posts
well one more suggestion is if the forks on your bike were never serviced, they are likely do... before investing in a fork swap, it might be worth popping the top on your stock forks and pouring in a heavier fork oil. maybe revalve them too. prolly the cheapest way to get you through a couple more years of riding with that setup. in the meantime, save your nickels and dimes for a "real" upgrade kit from motowheels or the like ;)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'll second strati's advice - in fact, I'm pretty much following it.

I started to notice some slight pogoing or wallowing in a rough, but kind of fast sweeper on my regular route around the neighborhood. So I looked at the options and decided to go for adjustable Showas that would bolt right on my 95 M900. That way I can keep the stock handlebars and save $$ by avoiding brake and triple clamp conversions.

Scored a set of decent SS forks on Ebay. But before putting them on, I just changed the oil in the original stock forks, checked spring free length, and put the originals back on the bike. That way I can get a good feel for what the stock forks should be like with the proper amount of fresh oil and known-good stock springs.

Soon, I'll be changing the oil and checking the springs in the adjustable forks and resetting all adjustments to "stock" settings. That way I'll have a good starting point without any unknowns when I swap them onto the bike.

I watched Ebay for a while and noticed that the SS style forks that will fit our earlier Monsters usually go for more money than SBK forks. It appears to be the old supply and demand story since they are in demand by Monster owners and SBK fork takeoffs seem to be more plentiful. I ended up going well over $400 to "win" mine. But as a reality check, I noticed that the two bidders that seemed as interested in them as me appeared from their feedbacks to be parts resellers. If they were still bidding, then the price should still be realistic.

Good luck, and with patience you'll find what you need at a decent price. Don't be afraid to pass when the price gets too high or the parts don't seem to be in good condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts