Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading both the clutch and f. brake master cylinders from the stock "coffins" to the brembo's w/ remote reservoirs that came stock on the M900 (and others, I'm sure). I just did the top triple mod (removal of risers) and, once the paint cures for a few more days, will be re-installing it and mounting the new master cylinders. My question is this: Will I be able to retain the use of my stock lines or will I have to replace them? Are they strong and/or long enough? I have CC clip-ons, if that makes a difference in the length portion of the question.

Any info. you can provide will be gratly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Eric

G

·
i would think if your bars are lower then maybe you would have more slack in your lines but i don't see that as a problem . should work fine . replace away .

G

·
If you haven't already bought the Brembo's take a look at Magura. I bought both clutch and brake and together they were a bit cheaper that the Brembo. Why Magura? They are Muuuuch better than the Brembo's more stopping power, better feel, much better quality, every part is replaceable. Check them out I bought mine from Motocorsa in Portland OR.
If you want email me for any more info.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
No need to replace the clutch side, other than for bling factor. Since brake coffin master cylinder is designed for single disc, then ANY 16mm replacement master cylinder (or 19mm radial) will make for incredible upgrade. On the cheap, look to get cbr900rr brake pump from salvage yard. Or many people sell new Nissin aftermarket brake pump. Then there's the used Ducati stuff and then new brembo/ducati stuff.

yaay
chris

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, my f. brake coffin is currently operating a double front disc...must be a bigger piston in the '02 750 than the 620 single disc.

I already picked up the masters on ebay...they came off of an '01 M900...total was only $150 after shipping!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Actually, my f. brake coffin is currently operating a double front disc...must be a bigger piston in the '02 750 than the 620 single disc.
No, it is the same. Like I said, it was designed for single disc use. That doesn't prevent Ducati from using it on dual disc models for 13 years now. It sucked in 1991 and it sucks the same in 2004, if not worse now. First off, the capacity of the reservoir is less than the capacity of the calipers. So if you install new brakes and then fill up the reservoir, it will run dry before the brake pads are worn down. So, you refill along the way. Then when it's time to replace pads, you cannot push the pistons in far enough to accept the new pads and fit on the discs, so you have to remove fluid from the reservoir.

That's why so many people swap around with their brake pumps. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts