Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ohlins rear shock for my S4R finally came in today.  I would like to put it on tonight but I have a question.

I was going to use the "screw jack on the rear tire" trick to raise the tail but what I don't know is, Do I need a spring compresser or does the stock shock just pop right out easy peasy lemon squeasy?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Re: HELP...Ohlins install

dean fin said:
The Ohlins rear shock for my S4R finally came in today. I would like to put it on tonight but I have a question.

I was going to use the "screw jack on the rear tire" trick to raise the tail but what I don't know is, Do I need a spring compresser or does the stock shock just pop right out easy peasy lemon squeasy?
no spring compressor needed.

·
Registered
979 Posts

I recently put a Penske on my S2R. To get the tail raised I just took a small car jack, placed it on my swingarm, and raised it up with a block of 2X4 on top.

If you go that route which is pretty easy, you'll find the sweet spot of where the jack should be because the bolts securing the shock will slide in and out easy. Same theory as a frame slider install.

Once you have the tail raised though, the shock swap is pretty easy. Bolt on top, bolt on bottom, swap shock, reinstall 2 bolts.

The bottom bolt is a bit of a PITA due to the fact you have to remove the little rubber thing on your swingarm to insert a long socket extension to reach the bottom shock bolt.

I swear, getting that little rubber cover back on took more work than the shock. I can't count how many times it kept falling inside the swingarm. :(

Good luck!

Also check out Strati's guide: http://www.buschandbusch.com/ducatisuite/monsterohlins.html

It's based on an older monster with a dual sided swingarm but aside from a few minor differences it's a great guide.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info.  Those were the answers I was hoping to hear.

I will post pics when I am done.

·
Registered
338 Posts

F7 said:
I swear, getting that little rubber cover back on took more work than the shock. I can't count how many times it kept falling inside the swingarm. :(
KY works good, thats just what I heard ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it last night.

With the bike on the rear stand
Removed the seat, left side body work and oil overflow resevior.
Used the screw jack (from my wife’s Golf) and a piece of wood to lift the back end.
Unbolted the rear brake linkage to get at the bottom shock bolt.
Removed top and bottom shock bolts, then lifted out the stock shock.
I did the opposite when installing the Ohlins.
Total time 1.5 hours

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is where the instructions said to mount the canister but I am not crazy about it.

Once I get rid of my air box and switch to the pod filters I am going to mount the canister under the tank.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Looks freaking sweet.

I want one (actually, I need one especially with my weight). [laugh]

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
dean fin said:
That is where the instructions said to mount the canister but I am not crazy about it.

Once I get rid of my air box and switch to the pod filters I am going to mount the canister under the tank.
Good on you! How about mounting the cannister on the left side below the seat? 1 1/2 hrs? That's sweet. You should try it on an 8 year old bike. Some of those bolts don't come out so easily. Now have fun dialing in the settings. It's a great way to get all kinds of a different feel for how the bike handles.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
dean fin said:

For the most consistant damping characteristics you actually want to keep the cannister away from hot areas; heat increases the pressure in the system, which alters the damping action. I'm not sure about the under the tank think in this regard. Would make for a clean looking installation though, I guess.

Steve

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
So, am I the only one that has had a problem getting the spring off of the shock? I COULD NOT remove it despite the advice of many recommendations I recieved from the DML...
Chris

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the most consistant damping characteristics you actually want to keep the cannister away from hot areas; heat increases the pressure in the system, which alters the damping action
I didn't think about that. I guess I gotta do some thinking.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
dean fin said:

oh, sorry, i didn't mean the shock or the reservoir mounting location! ;D I meant the screw jack and how you used it [cheeky]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe it or not, it was a lot more stable than it looks.
I put the bike in first gear so the jack would not slip.
Maybe not the best choice but I couldn't wait for the dealer to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts