Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please try to restrict responses to constructive feedback please...

I recently bought a new Monster S2R. Being a complete newbie/poseur/whatever you want to call me, I bought it at a whim before riding one.

It's much more bike then my complete lack of abilities justifies. Practice makes perfect, but I dont want to destroy the bike and/or hurt myself in the process.

The dealership talked me out of a monster 620 and 695 they had on display, insisting that i would get used to it and be very bored within weeks. I was gullible enough to listen.

With that being said, has anyone had any success detuning an S2R to a much more modest power range (without any permanent damage to the bike)?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the DML. [thumbsup]

Sorry to hear you don't feel comfortable on it yet. A couple of initial things that aren't tech-related. You got gear already? If not, that's first on your list. Sign up for MSF is you haven't already done so. And try practicing in parking lots before jumping right out there. Set up cones. Practice actual skills -- braking, turning, etc. And find a group of riders in your area (there are probably DMLers around) as a resource.

In terms of de-tning, don't they have some sort of restrictor plate or something in Australia? There should be an easy way to limit your bike to only half-throttle or something. That'll "de-tune" it.

The other thing is, if you're really that concerned, it's ok to sell the bike and take the loss. I betcha the dealer would help out with a 695. There will always be a monster there for when you're ready and feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
No BS, give yourself a chance to get comfortable with the bike. Remember, the only power ANY bike will make comes from a twist of your right wrist. The only thing you need to "de-tune" is the amount of throttle you give.

Hit the parking lots for practice, and enjoy the bike! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Desmo Stu said:
No BS, give yourself a chance to get comfortable with the bike. Remember, the only power ANY bike will make comes from a twist of your right wrist. The only thing you need to "de-tune" is the amount of throttle you give.

+2 detune yourself, and get lots of practice. Stay safe out there, and you'll love your new bike.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yep, take the bike our early in the day to minimize distractions from other traffic and peds. Hit a large parking lot and paractice the basics.

But here's another idea. Leave the S2R as it is now and use the funds that you'd pay to de-tune and then re-tune to buy a smaller displacement beater. Perhaps a 250 or 400 thta you can feel more comfortible on while learning your fundamentals, then sell again (probably at the price you bought it for) after a few months.

it might take some hunting, but there are a good number of older smaller dispalcement bikes out there that can be had for a few hundred and fairly easily sold again.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'll bet that if you took the MSF course, you'd feel much more comfortable immediately.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Desmo Stu said:

+1. Just take it easy and dont put yourself into situations youre not prepared for ; heavy traffic , highways, twisty roads.
I started on a Kawi 454 which seemed too fast when i first started on it but after a while I was going wide open throttle on it and wanting more. Even after 2 seasons on my S2R I still fear the amount of power my "slowe" 800. Even a 620 has a pretty fast 0-60 speed so getting used to the speed of a modern day sportbike is something you need to learn to control....or buy a Harley. [laugh]

·
Registered
966 Posts
Many people put on a smaller sprocket in the front and/or rear to make the bike quicker. Maybe you could do the opposite and put on a larger sprocket. Even one extra tooth should make a difference in slowing down the throttle response.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Spinned said:
Many people put on a smaller sprocket in the front and/or rear to make the bike quicker. Maybe you could do the opposite and put on a larger sprocket. Even one extra tooth should make a difference in slowing down the throttle response.
That would make the bike more difficult to ride at lower speeds/ engine RMPs. It'd increase it's tendancy of hte engine to lug and might be spooky for a newer rider who is already feeling uncomfortible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lots of awesome advice, thank you guys very much ;D

I wish I timed my purchase better-MSF classes ended here (central virginia) last weekend and wont pick up again until March :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I wasn't terribly comfortable with my first bike either but for me it wasn't a power issue; the bike was too tall. As with nearly all things in life you'll learn to adapt but you'll have to be very careful until you do.

Still, if you don't trust yourself enough to have the discipline to train yourself you take it easy then perhaps you should take the bike back to the dealer and let them know it was a mistake. They may be reluctant to take it back and sell you the smaller bike but if you turn out to become a devote ducatisti then you may give them more business riding the smaller bike and upgrading in the future rather than riding the big bike now and killing/ hurting yourself and giving up bikes.

In the end it's all up to you and how confident you are in yourself. Just remember that too much confidence is bad as well. Here's rootin' for ya.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
FWIW, I picked up my 695 and had never ridden before other than practicing at the DMV on my best friends DRZ (Not even remotely the same). I couldnt get into an MSF course because of timing or they were all booked up. I decided to practice in parking lots and on roads that werent heavily used. I was deathly afraid of hurting the bike or myself. It took a lot of guts just to twist the throttle halfway. I got used to it though and steadily increased my ability to twist the throttle more and more. Ride it in the way youre most comfortable with, it becomes second nature. The best advice I was given and read on the board all the time is "You only go as fast as how far(and quick) you twist your wrist".

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Thank you for being honest about your comfort & skill level. Not many would have the guts to own up to that. I'd recommend you go to your dealership and see if they could set up some sort of throttle restrictor. They do that in Europe for new riders. Have them make up something that would allow the throttle to open only halfway or so. It'd be temporary so that when you gain some familiarity and skill it could easily be removed.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
when i bought my 620 last year, I spent weeks (litterally, about 4) circling my block, practicing starting, stoping, left turns, right turns, shifting, down shifting and control familiarization. then it was on to short errands around town, and trips to big parking lots to practice some more. buy "a twist of the wrist 1 and 2 read them and practice the techniques described within for beginners. and the msf course as mentioned before.

set yourself limits. eg

"i'm not gonna leave my block for two weeks"

"not gonna get on the freeway for a month"

take it slow.

and when you start to feel comfortable on the bike, like you feel like you know what you are doing, that is one of the most crucial times to be extra attentive. complacency can kill you.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Give yourself time and practice as advised. As said, it's all in your right hand. Don't change your bike - any bike will seem a bit daunting to a new rider , just get some relaxed riding experience under your belt. The S2R is a friendly bike to ride, just don't whack open the throttle. Try and relax and use the controls gently and smoothly. Respect it, but don't be scared of it, have fun.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Redkite2 said:
Give yourself time and practice as advised. As said, it's all in your right hand. Don't change your bike - any bike will seem a bit daunting to a new rider , just get some relaxed riding experience under your belt. The S2R is a friendly bike to ride, just don't whack open the throttle. Try and relax and use the controls gently and smoothly. Respect it, but don't be scared of it, have fun.
+1

After the MSF, and lots of practice, you will be asking your dealer what he will give you on a trade for a 1098.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Relax when you ride - tension kills. The bike wants to keep rolling....do everything gently.

Read Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" books over the winter then practice the techniques in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
ok, I know it's easy enough to say "be patient, take it easy, you'll get used to any bike" but for a new rider, being on an inherently more forgiving bike would make it easier to focus on skills, no? not learn to ride and handle a big bike at the same time.

and on the street or in a parking lot, panic is panic, and he could open that throttle at the wrong time. sure, he won't pile into an oncoming car or anything, but could still get hurt/damage the bike/whatever

I'd say either garage the monster and buy a smaller beater if you have the coin, or just trade it in for a smaller bike and upgrade later.

I've have my 620 for more than a few weeks and I haven't tired of it's "slowness" yet >:D

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I have owned my 900 for just about 6mo, and I ride every day... I still will not go past 3/4 throttle. Just take it easy, and get used to your new bike.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts