Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
as Mark Twain said...

“It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.”

hang in there!

I too quit cold turkey about six years ago, I guess. Don't miss it a bit [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
sbrguy said:
i personaly dont like the peorple that are way too overzealous about getting others to quit, you can spout off all the stats you want about quitting or dieing from cancer but its really up to the individual to do what they want.

so don't go overboard with the whole fire and brimstone why you should quit or how hard it is.. people will do what they want.

if you want to quit good for you, there are plenty of products out there and ways to quit, millions of people have used various methods to stop smoking. if you want to smoke you are allowed its your body.

afterall we ride motorcycles. and how many times do poeple say that these things are deathtraps but we still use them? and we tell them what we think of them.

a friend that worked in insurance told me years ago that accounding to inhouse stats basically insured motorcycle riders have a 100% probabilyt of getting into an accident over a lifetime. you read that right its not 98% its a 100% probabitilyt that the person will have an accident. so don't become one of "those overzealous" safety people telling others what is good for them with all the fire and brimstone stuff.

good luck all.
I don't think anyone is being overzealous, we're just ex-smokers who are sharing our personal experiences with those who asked for them. However, I fully suggest that you not quit smoking as you seem to be wound up pretty tight, those first few weeks would be a nightmare for you. ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
haha funny.. i like that.

the thing i noticed is that the most over zealous people about not smoking are always ex smokers... go figure.

i see that you might be an ex smoker ;)

for the record i have never smoked, i have tried smoking cigars at times but found out that its not really conducive to running/cycling, so i quit after a few cigars.

i grew up in a household that did smoke, immediate parents quit smoking a couple of years ago. and one grand parent smoked her entire life, never got lung cancer, died of another type of cancer non related to smoking, had a NON SMOKING friend die of Lung cancer.

how does this relate to smoking and quitting? no way whatsoever..

[laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Keep it going Nick [thumbsup]

Although I've never smoked, my Ducati was but it seems to have stopped now.... damn Del Amo had it 2 months to replace the valve guides & left one of the oil seals not fullt seated during assembly :mad: They tried to tell me it was unburnt fuel but 600 mile & half a quart of oil later I knew otherwise.

Moral of the story...... don't take yor bike to Del Amo, take it to Flight [thumbsup] Good mechanics & smoke free environment [laugh]

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
GusDuc said:
Although I've never smoked, my Ducati was but it seems to have stopped now.... damn Del Amo had it 2 months to replace the valve guides & left one of the oil seals not fullt seated during assembly :mad: They tried to tell me it was unburnt fuel but 600 mile & half a quart of oil later I knew otherwise.
how is it these assclowns stay in business...

and keep it up Nick! :)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Nick...I wish you the best in your effort....

and then you'll be like every other ex-smoker. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try reading, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr...

Easy. Honest. I did it.

I'm glad to give you my copy.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
madmatt said:
Try reading, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr...

Easy. Honest. I did it.

I'm glad to give you my copy.
Book purchased, ETA Thursday.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Speeddog said:
Book purchased, ETA Thursday.
nice.

simple formula.

smoke. read. read. smoke. enjoy. smoke. read. never smoke again. enjoy.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
A friend of mine started using Chantix after smoking forever and he didn't even want to smoke and thought it was a miracle drug. problem is, after a couple of months, he didn't want to do anything. Depression is apparently a possible side effect. He's never been depressed before. Stopped the drug; started smoking again. back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good job man! I quit on new years and recently smoked 3 cigarettes (after 4.5 months with nothing) after a fight with my chick. I havent smoked any since though!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Status...

...what's the story with this? You done?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Finally quit

39 years old and finally quit. I told myself that I would quit when I reached the age of 35. Haven't smoke a cig in, oh about 5 to 6 weeks, forgot the actual stop date.

The only problem is that after I smoke a joint, i reeeeeaaaaaallllllly crave a cigarette. I hope admitting I'm a pot lover won't get me kicked off the DML!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm just starting week 4 without nicotine. Went cold turkey after 15 years of smoking roll ups so the withdrawal was insane!
However, that's over now and all the nervous energy and stress was channelled into hitting the gym so managed to lose some weight in the last 3 weeks and has left me feeling fitter, wanting to exercise and eat healthier.
The tough part is avoiding the 'habit' smokes like being in the pub, rest break on a ride etc but like the previous poster, I should have quit at 35, so at 38, I'm determined never to smoke again.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts