Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days in, and I'm not diggin' it. :eek: :mad: :eek: :p :eek: :-X :eek: :'( :eek: >:D :eek:

Nicotine gum has reduced the impulses to beat inanimate objects with hammers and pull my hair out.
Downside is it scorches my throat and cranks on my stomach.

Anyone with FHE on patches?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to have the top of my head unscrew and fly into orbit.

But thanks! [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Good for you. Now everyones gonna be on me double time! :p

Patches itch. They help with the chemical, but not the social situation caused cravings (i.e. while drinking, after a meal, what have you) & oral fixation. When I have given the patch a shot before I've carried the mouthpiece from a cigarallo and chewed on that when I got urges. I'm sure gum or candy would work just as well. In the end, _for me_, I've always failed at quitting because of the social or stress based urges...

I've heard good things about Chantix (new hotness) and Wellbutrin (slightly older), but both of those are actually ****ing with you brain chemistry and that is a turnoff for lots of folks.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
sqweak said:
Good for you. Now everyones gonna be on me double time! :p

Patches itch. They help with the chemical, but not the social situation caused cravings (i.e. while drinking, after a meal, what have you) & oral fixation. When I have given the patch a shot before I've carried the mouthpiece from a cigarallo and chewed on that when I got urges. I'm sure gum or candy would work just as well. In the end, _for me_, I've always failed at quitting because of the social or stress based urges...

I've heard good things about Chantix (new hotness) and Wellbutrin (slightly older), but both of those are actually ****ing with you brain chemistry and that is a turnoff for lots of folks.
think of the poor lil wheezing wife with elevated heart rate at home..... poor poor lil mags.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Nick, I did patches. Twice. They sucked. I had wicked, ****ed-ip nightmares, and so wouldn't wear 'em at night. And at the beginning, they overloaded me on nicotine and I felt sick (and I was smokin' a lot!). But then at the end of the day, I still had cravings. Also, every time I went down a level in patch strength, I had cravings all over again. And it didn't do **** for the socialized need to smoke. I felt like it just extended the whole process.

Both times, they worked. But then I picked up a smoke a coupla months later, thinkin' "I'm not addicted now, I can have just one." A short while later, I was smokin' again.

Finally, I just went cold turkey. I didn't even really mean to. I had like two packs at Zeitgeist one night and woke up the next day feeling like I blew Joe Camel. So I didn't smoke that day. Then I figured I just wouldn't smoke the next day. Then the next day, I said, "Meh, I'll smoke tomorrow. Just not today." I kept doin' that. It sucked for a coupla weeks, but it actually worked. Now, everytime I want a smoke, I say that I can have one tomorrow. I never do. That was like 2.5 yrs ago.

Good luck, man. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Spidey said:
Nick, I did patches. Twice. They sucked. I had wicked, ****ed-ip nightmares, and so wouldn't wear 'em at night. And at the beginning, they overloaded me on nicotine and I felt sick (and I was smokin' a lot!). But then at the end of the day, I still had cravings. Also, every time I went down a level in patch strength, I had cravings all over again. And it didn't do **** for the socialized need to smoke. I felt like it just extended the whole process.
That was exactly my experience. The dreams you have with the patch on are just totally ****ed up.

Wellbutrin was almost as bad. It just made me want to beat the **** out of everyone I met, kinda the opposite of what it what supposed to do.

Finally, I just cold turkey'd it and it's been about 1.5 years. Once you get past the first 2 weeks, it gets really, pretty easy.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chantix:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2007/09/chantix_psychotic.php

Rxlist.com:
"PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS.
Frequent: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional disorder, Irritability, Restlessness.
Infrequent: Aggression, Agitation, Disorientation, Dissociation, Libido decreased, Mood swings, Thinking abnormal.
Rare: Bradyphrenia, Euphoric mood, Hallucination, Psychotic disorder, Suicidal ideation."

OK, I can do without those. Jeebus.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
no idea it's apparently also used to help quit smoking, but i have been witness to a lot of Wellbutrin-related behavior. stay far away from it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
541 Posts
cold turkey works ...
BUT - for me, I gave up smoking many times. it worked sometimes for a while, but in the end I fell back on the habit.

Lat time, I decided not to give up smoking - I just did not smoke. No psycological pressure to myself, no chance to fail, 'cause I was not giving up smoking, I just decided not to have a smoke at the moment. So far 2+ years I think (as I have not given up, there is no fixed date)

My driving force: would I want anyone (my son for example) to take up smoking - no! So why do something I would recomend anyone else to stay away from ...

cheers
well done to all that succeded - keep at it, just don't light up!

Hans

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's Cheap and it Aint Smokin....

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
However you decide to go about it, hang in there, Nick! We're rooting for you.

Michelle

P.S. And, just my 2 cents, but aren't most of those side effects from the Chantix things you're probably going to experience when you're detoxing from nicotene anyway?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
lilysmama said:
P.S. And, just my 2 cents, but aren't most of those side effects from the Chantix things you're probably going to experience when you're detoxing from nicotene anyway?
not the major ones they're referring to. read up on carter albrecht.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts