Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought a Icon Rubatine helmet about 3 weeks ago. I have worn @ 4 times and the finish started to come apart. I wrote a letter to iconand there reply was as follows. Their "suggestion" was to take it to the dealer. Personally i thought they would be willing to do something as a company. Thankfully the dealer stands behind what they sell and they are going to exchange it for a new helmet.

Ona positive note I can say that with exception for the problems with the finish I an very happy with the helmet.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think they do that because of two reasons:

Most companies want their dealers to handle these complaints because it puts emphasis on the dealer and helps icon create a reputable network

second, they do not want to step on toes of their dealers. similar to a lot of manufacturers not selling their product on their website.

on a side note, i bought some hooligan gloves and they are great!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Icon IS replacing your helmet through your dealer. They ARE doing something as a company. That's the way the warranties are handled. If something goes wrong with your bike, do you sit down and write a letter to Ducati ? No, you go to your dealer first, right?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I disagree, if it's within 30 days of purchase ONLY should you be directed to your dealer. I'm having the same problem with HJC right now about a quality issue with my helmet. To me, being asked to go to a dealer, which in the case of helmet just mean reseller, NOT service center like for a bike, is totally unacceptable. I'd rather have a company just tell me they won't help me than jerk me around, and being directed to a dealer is just that, being jerked around. I'm in the process of escalating my problems to HJC's management since I've gotten virtually no help from Customer Service after multiple calls and e-mails. Plus, it's kinda hard to "go to the dealer" when you buy a helmet online...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're welcome to disagree, your perception isn't reality. There is no HJC warehouse in the US, the helmets are imported directly to the distributors, who then ship them to the dealers. HJC's offices are in South Korea and China. Why won't the retailer - online or not- help you?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of these online resellers are sort of fly by night outfits, but if you bought from an established dealer I am surprised to hear that they are so unaccomodating. Personally I am very happy with Icon leathers, never bought their helmets. As far as online purchase I stick to Motostrano (Joe) and motorcycle-superstore.com or kneedraggers.com. Both have great customer service as far as my experience. I like motostrano the most though. I am curious who you bought from and how it turns out, keep posting.

Sexy

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
OK motorep, I could say the same about you.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've worked in retail, not in a few years now, but I have anyway. Just because a reseller purchases an item from a manufacturer and sells it, does NOT mean they are responsible for manufacturing defects. Legally that is going to always be on the manufacturer. Also, I will say for the third time, buying a retail item is NOT the same as a car, bike, etc. The same rules do NOT apply.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
They are retail items, but not the same as buying something like a helmet or a CD player. When you buy a normal retail product, most stores won't even talk to you after the normal 30 day return period. The idea that I should go to a dealer, instead of the manufacturer is baffling to me. Maybe if you had an extremely nice dealer they might help you, but that is rare. After the return period is over, you're on your own to get things repaired/replaced through the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I think it was helmetharbor.com. I usually don't buy things online since I'm paranoid about breakage and things, but already having an HJC I already knew the size and felt like saving some money. I haven't even tried to call them, I figured HJC would actually care enough to at least listen.

Re-reading through the post I realized that dyates mentioned his helmet is only like 3 weeks old, I missed that. In that case I can totally understand going through the retailer. Even up to 60 days I can see a point in at least attempting to talk to a retailer, maybe. In my case, 6 months later, the manufacturer should be making good IMO.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bloodshot, I am a sales rep for a large distributor. I get involved with every warranty issue for every product sold by my dealer accounts. The warranty process always starts at the dealer level, there is no reason for it to be otherwise. I've been doing this since 1971, for you to think that it's fantasy on my part to think that dealers want to help you is just silly. Dealers want you to have a good experience so you'll come back and do more business with them, the manufacturers want you to have a good experience with their products so you'll buy more of their stuff and tell all your friends how cool that stuff is. Everyone involved wants you to be happy with your retail experience.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no understanding of why they would not take the helmet back if it has a problem, especially if it is only 3 weeks since the purchare that you initiated the complaint. Most places give you a 30 day no questions ask return allowance.

Sexy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think maybe some explanation is due here....Here's the way the return thing/warranty generally works: Joe walks into his favorite local dealership carrying his recently purchased Icon Rubatone helmet. As he enters the accessory department he's greeted by a store employee- "hey Joe, how's that bitchin' new helmet working for you?". Joe- "not great, man, look what happened to the finish..." Employee- "sh!t, that's not supposed to happen, let me get my manager". Manager comes out, looks at the helmet- "sh!t, that's not supposed to happen, let's get that taken care of". At this point several things can happen-1- the manager can say "you've only had this a few weeks, right? Let me get you another helmet". Joe leaves, a happy camper. The manager was able to make the snap decision based on a lot of things, but basically he saw that the helmet's finish was indeed defective- didn't have road rash or boot marks on it, and he knows that his distributors rep will back him up and get a replacement or credit. 2- the manager can say "my rep will be in here on Tuesday morning, I need to have him take a look at it. Can you leave it til then, or maybe bring it by on Tuesday, when he's here?" This also can be based on some variables- the manager may have a suspicion that the damage was caused by road rash or being booted across the parking lot, or they may have a store policy that dictates precisely how warranties are handled. This precludes having the rep walk in on Tuesday and tell him that he can't warranty the helmet because it's been booted across the parking lot and has obvious ball peen hammer marks on it. 3- the manager picks up the phone, calls the rep on his cell phone, outlines the problem, telling the rep that there is no question that the finish on the helmet is defective, at which point the rep says "please give your customer a replacement, Icon does not want any unhappy customers" or, if the dealer doesn't have a replacement in stock, says "I'll get one shipped from our closest warehouse, please thank your customer for his patience".
These, in my many years as a sales rep, are the ways warranties are generally handled. I don't speak for Icon or any company, this is just my experience.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath....there is that better. Okay, now group hug, come on. Everybody, group hug. [smiley=approve.gif]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HE DIDN'T SAY THEY WEREN'T TAKING IT BACK! THEY ARE!!
Isnt it great to be online and get nasty...that way you keep your teeth. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1- nobody was being "nasty"
2- Moderator- are you going to allow threats on this board?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
OK kids, time to play nice.

Don't make me stop this car and lock the thread.

It is OK to disagree, not OK to get personal or threaten. Just try and keep it factual, and remember we don't all have to agree, but we do need to be civil.

End of lecture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts