Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Sky

Hello, I'm Tim. Long story short a life long friend recently passed away. Tasked with selling the bike I decided to buy it and give his son the money(before his death he asked me to with sell and give money to his son. I might as well buy it to remember him by. After all, he is the guy that got me passionate about Ducati). The bike needs some work. Shift lever bent and some other stuff. I'd like to change the color from black to red at some point to follow through with his desired paint scheme. This will be my 14yo son's bike. He fell in love with it the first time he seen it.

Anyways, that's my story. Happy to be here. I hope to pick up on some of the technical stuff that the air cooled bike bring.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Glasses Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
248 Posts
thats a s2r800 . the last of the full trellis and has the coolest single sided swing arm. i own one. suggest keeping up on your brake maintenance. only two piston up front to slow you down. lots of folks go 14 tooth up front. stock is 15 and can be kinda clutchy in city riding. because of the single sided swingarm it eats rear sprockets. its not tooth wear but the bushing wear, with the sprocket no longer well seated. sorry about your buddy. hope you kind find some joy in the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a s2r800 . the last of the full trellis and has the coolest single sided swing arm. i own one. suggest keeping up on your brake maintenance. only two piston up front to slow you down. lots of folks go 14 tooth up front. stock is 15 and can be kinda clutchy in city riding. because of the single sided swingarm it eats rear sprockets. its not tooth wear but the bushing wear, with the sprocket no longer well seated. sorry about your buddy. hope you kind find some joy in the bike.
It actually is having rear brake issues right now. The rear overheats and locks up. Smoking and smelly it has to cool down till it can move. I'm looking for a master cylinder as we speak. I'd like to do the s2r 1000 4 piston calipers up front with radial/semi radial masters. I'll keep an eye on the sprocket.

·
Registered
248 Posts
take the rear brake off and pull it apart. bet you it has a seized piston. and because you cannot properly bleed the rear brake without inverting so you gonna be there anyways
the s2r 1000 setup will not direct bolt. if you can, just take the entire front end. you will benefit for the adjustable front forks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have enough free play in the brake pedal ?
I have free play in the lever but trying to manually retract the pistons it won't budge. If I loosen the banjo at the master cylinder they will retract. This is what makes me think it's the master. I have the rear caliper off my Hypermotard. I recently changed the Hypers to the HEL caliper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts