Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that Red loctite is in a blue container, and Blue loctite is in a red container?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
To remind you that THAT is NOT what it is of course...

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Must be the brand. I just looked at my newest tube - Permatex Threadlocker Blue; in a blue tube.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think Permatex and Loctite are both owned by the same parent SuperMegaCorporation.....perhaps Pepsi ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I have both brands in stock at my shop. All the Permatex tubes are blue, regardless of strength (red or blue liquid), and all the Loctite tubes are red, regardless of strength. It forces you to read the tube to be sure which strength you're using. Clever bastards! At home I typically keep a tube of the Permatex medium (blue) which is already in a blue tube, and a tube of Loctite high-strength (red) which is in a red tube. That way there is no confusion.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Is Super Mega Corporation owned by GloboMegaCompuCorp by chance?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Michael,
I can probably shed a bit of light on this subject for you. DESMOFO picked it, one is Loctite & the other is Permatex, different Products (as suggested may be the same Company ) but i doubt it as they are the main two oposition companies in this market, apart from another company called Permabond. So i can't comment on the Permatex color scheme.

I used to sell this stuff (loctite) for 10 years 10 years ago. Loctite thread lockers are an Anerobic Compound, which means they cure in the absence of air & the cure is also sped up by the presence of carbon in metal. That's why it works better on mild steel bolts, if you are using it on stainless steel you need to use a primer to speed the cure.

You will notice the tube the stuff is in becomes oozzy & stickey after a while & attracts dust. Because stud lockers are an anerobic compound the bottle or tube they are in is actually breathable, otherwize they would go hard.

I don't know about now, but 10 years ago there was 222 low strength which was pink, 242 Mid Strength which was Blue & 262 Super Strength stud locker which was red. There is another one called 290 that had a wicking action, meaning it would work it's way into the thread of a nut & bolt that was already torqued up, this was green. but all were in red bottles.

do you wonder why your nozzle is gumming up? Try dropping the loctite onto the bolt & not rubbing it around the bolt with the tip of the nozzle. By rubbing the tip on the bolt with the nozzle you are contaminating the product with carbon from the steel, then when you put the cap on you are restricting the air, thus promoting the curing process.

Another thing not to do is shove a rusty nail down the nozzle if you loose the lid. I've seen bottles on a shelf with a rusty nail in them that have cured soo fast that it has melted the plastic.

Anyway, that's the trivia for today, happy loctiting, it's agreat product!!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
a loctite expert! great to know we have one on board. i had no idea about the carbon relationship in curing. by the way, how is the bike doing? is it happy with its diet?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks Howie, There certainly is more to this product than meets the eye.

The Diet is working Sensationally well. When i installed the FCR's it was running as lean as hell. I've gone up in incriments of 5 from 155mains to 175 mains, & it just keeps going Harder & Harder. Even now it's still got a nice grey pipe around town. When i told Chris he said definately someones played around the porting. This was music to my ears. Will try 180's & 185's & see where it richens up too much. Still on the 50/50 brew & you couldn't ask for a better plug colour, smooth idling & crisp accelleration. Not to mention getting the front wheel up in 2nd & sometimes even in 3rd. Awesome, i love it!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks Howie, There certainly is more to this product than meets the eye.

The Diet is working Sensationally well. When i installed the FCR's it was running as lean as hell. I've gone up in incriments of 5 from 155mains to 175 mains, & it just keeps going Harder & Harder. Even now it's still got a nice grey pipe around town. When i told Chris he said definately someones played around the porting. This was music to my ears. Will try 180's & 185's & see where it richens up too much. Still on the 50/50 brew & you couldn't ask for a better plug colour, smooth idling & crisp accelleration. Not to mention getting the front wheel up in 2nd & sometimes even in 3rd. Awesome, i love it!!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And here I was just being a smartass and along comes Chris with a detailed answer. I promise to behave from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts