Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the time I take my helmet with me when I park my bike. Sometimes, however, it is more convenient to leave it with the bike. I acknowledge the risk of theft or damage.

On my M1100S there is a hook under the seat and a short metal cable which can loop through the D-ring of the helmet. My concern is that the helmet then hangs just in front of the exhausts, which are pretty hot after a ride. I do have the carbon heat pads on the exhaust and the way the helmet hangs doesn't quite touch, but am still worried about damaging the helmet. Does anybody have any experience of using these hooks for their helmet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have used the hook on several occasions with no dire consequences to my helmet. I do worry as you do about it taking some heat damage but I have not had this problem yet. Another concern I have is how loose it hangs on the bike as it could become a fun game of spin the helmet for a kid. If you would be interested in alternatives I have seen a handful of people using the Kuryakyn style bar end locks (http://www.compacc.com/p/Kuryakyn-Kewlock-Grip-End-Helmet-Lock/1518007/0) if you are not using bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't needed to leave my helmet on the bike yet, so haven't tried it out with hot pipes. I was experimenting with my bike 'cold' though. If I loop the wire through the D-ring and attach both ends to the under-seat hook the helmet sits quite tightly but is very close to the exhaust. Alternately you can loop the wire through the D-ring and then itself and attach just the free end to the hook and the helmet dangles a much healthier distance from the exhaust. I agree it is quite loose like this, but it looks like you could almost rest it on the pillion foot-peg, to stabilise it. I think this will be what I end up doing, albeit rarely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fit a pir security light as already suggested the last thing a thief wants is to be lit with a 500watt light. You can also buy a couple of cheap signs along the lines of "Beware of the dog" & "You are being watched by cctv" etc to stick on your gate and wall, it doesnt matter that you dont have either a dog or cctv camera no knows if you do or dont, it might just be enough to put someone off breaking in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the Ducati Tool Kit underneath the seat of my M696 (not sure if they all came with that or what year they started putting them there) there is a plastic coated metal wire with a loop on each end. I have wrapped that around the center of my handlebar and bought a tiny lock at Home Depot, put the key to the lock on your key chain, hop of the bike, secure the helmet to the handle bars, lock it, walk away. Simple, looks unnoticeable, and cheap (lock was less than 5 bucks). I can post a pic if anyone wants.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On my S2R I just hang the helmets off of the other side of the bike. No need to worry about hitting the exhaust.

I have thought about the handle bar lock though.... Good idea

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had the same problem/issue w/ my M696 the other day. I normally carry my helmet w/ me but I was on my way to a BBQ fest and I didn't want to deal with eating BBQ and holding my helmet at the same time.

1st problem I noticed was the length of the cable. If I hang my helmet on the left hand side, the cable is too long and sticks out from underneath the seat. Someone can easily cut the tiny cable and be off with my helmet. If I hang my helmet off on the right side, the cable is hidden underneath the seat. If someone wants to steal my helmet, they will have to cut the helmet strap which will render the helmet useless.

Going with the later option however, the bottom of my helmet does rest on the exhaust guards (I have the DP CF ones). I was worried about the heat from the guard but I left it there anyways. Later, I did find that some of the glue that was holding some fabric together did come lose (where the helmet was resting on the exhaust guard).

I much preferred the system on my old 03 R6 where you hook your D-ring directly in a hook underneath the seat. I'm not a fan of of this cable business.

Does anyone here have ideas for locking your jacket with you bike? I've seen people use bicycle cable locks and running it through the sleeves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The D-ring system is much easier to use than this cable idea. I have thought about someone wanting to cut the cable to steal the helmet but I will take my chances.

I see alot of people on our college campus use small bike chain/steel cable locks and run it through there coat sleves and helmets. Looks like it works I just can't find a cable small enough to run under the steering riser.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
I bought this one:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Helmet-Lock-Master-99/dp/B002O006VM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301519128&sr=8-5[/ame]

I put my helmet on the right side passenger peg and run the cable through the rearset and helmet opening. It's just the right length and the helmet isn't going anywehre. Of course, as mentioned, all someone has to do is cut the cable. But then who is going to walk around with bolt cutters trying to steal a helmet that's only worth a couple hundred bucks?

·
Registered
302 Posts
But then who is going to walk around with bolt cutters trying to steal a helmet that's only worth a couple hundred bucks?
You will be surprised. I guess I'm just the cautious type. I use to live in SF where people with cable cutters go around town looking for bikes that uses cable locks (vs. u-locks) to steal. And they don't discriminate, they will still $50 up to $1000 bikes.

Here is Arizona, I've been approached by some sketchy people selling motorcycle helmets at the gas station (while filling up my bike). Some of the helmets out there (Shoei, Arai) are $700 helmets. I guess I rather be cautious than be out $700. My philosophy is I try to keep people honest by making it hard for them to steal my stuff, haha.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I have one of these on my Suzuki, and I think it would work great on my Monster. A well-finished and functional product. Of course any lock which uses the D-Rings risks a thief cutting the strap, but that makes the helmet pretty useless.

http://www.barender.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts