Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of some undergarment that will hold armor? I am doing a track day and my leather pants only have a little light padding. I would like to add a little more protection. Possibly under the jacket as well.

·
Banned
551 Posts
I am looking at getting a non armor accepting vanson jacket and was wondering what peoples experiences were with under jacket seperate armor - like the ones already discussed in the thread. Any recommendations?

I am not looking at track riding - but do like a full back protector, shoulder and elbow(through forearm) protection. I want to purchase it before I purchase the jacket so I can try on the jacket over the armor.

Any input is appreciated. ;D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll let others comment on stand-alone armor systems, but have you considered just having pockets sewn into the jacket for normal armor? It's a relatively simple and inexpensive operation - cost me about $50 to have pockets sewn into my pants for knee and hip armor. The pockets can be sewn into the lining--not the leather--so external appearance is not affected, if you're worried about that.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think you have to consider the convenience factor. An armored jacket is no big deal to wear. But if you have to put on separate armor and then a jacket, you WILL be tempted sometimes to leave the armor, which defeats the whole purpose.

I'd recommend fully armored jacket (and pants).

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I'd have to agree with Don on this. While the idea is cool - pick the jacket you could wear anywhere and just use armor when riding, in reality the more stuff you need to put on the more you'll be tempted to cut corners if you're in a hurry. (Now if you don't commute or run errands on the bike, but just do longish sport riding trips then this probably isn't an issue.) Also if you're riding to work or an event, you should realize that the body armor will go on top of your clothes, giving you that 'just slept in my clothes' look that is so fashionable these days. ;)

OTOH, I'm tempted by the leg armor since my only other option for work is to pull the 'stitch Darien pants over my regular pants, and sometimes I want to wear the leather jacket & jeans.

Anyway, as with so much in life, there are plusses and minuses, tradeoffs and compromises. Just try to figure what'll work best for your situation.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Thanks for the input. I got the same input this weekend (just get an armored jacket) from another long time sport rider.

I had though of the idea of purchasing some armor and having it sewn in the jacket, but I haven't decided which way to go yet.

I am not a commuter - 10 minute walk to work - so I do only ride for the purpose of sport riding. I do only go out on the bike when I have time to suit up properly.

I do want to find some under jacket armor tops to try on before I make up my mind.

And chicks dig the just out of bed look - goes well with helmet hair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts