Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new rider, I think the key to not crashing will be letting other motorists know I am there! I will be getting a louder horn from day 1.

How about red Streetglow neons for the night time. I am not looking to make my bike look disgusting. But it may be a nice option to have a bright red neon light on the botton of the seats at night time.

Any one here have this already or can recommend a kit?

N

·
0 Posts
where under the seat? wouldn't that take away from somebody behind you seeing your brake light properly?

personally, I would stay away from the neon's on the bike, but if you like them, go for it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
A loud horn won't do much, but loud pipes will. I don't know about the neons, though... very un-monsterlike, but to each his own.

M

·
0 Posts
i know in floriduh ground effect lighting is frowned upon by leo's. if the vehicle is moving it will get you an additional citation and preclude any chance at getting off with just a warning. i usually try to avoid gaining their attention if at all possible.

you see neon all the time at night in ft. lauderdale or south beach and the first thing that comes to mind is squid and not safety. the only other folks that seem to pay attention to neon would be other squidly/fast'n'furious types that go for that sort of thing. (i'm admittedly a playa hate-a)

a louder horn is assuming the distracted or oblivious cager is a considerate driver... if that were the case you wouldn't need the horn in the first place. they may hear it over the cell phone but most cages are engineered to keep out road noise, especially the expensive ones.

best bet is to keep space between you and the nearest hunk of metal and assume they are all out to get you if they even see you at all. of course there's one guy near me that wears a white helmet and reflective orange and yellow vest on his kawasaki concourse everyday too...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would ditch the neon and invest in headlight and tailight modulators. I am confident mine helps me be seen by otherwise oblivious cagers every day! Best safety mod you can make a bike, IMHO.

-mike

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
You'll need some of these to match:
;D

The best way to handle cars seeing you is to plan ahead that they won't.
You're going to have to learn to predict and avoid the stupid things drivers are going to do...if you depend on them to avoid you, you're gonna get run into a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
for at nite , some reflective tape on your helmet and some on your jacket may be good.

A

·
0 Posts
I've seen the Neon under the fairings of the rockets but where would you put it under the Monster? Now I have to get up and go check mine in the garage! ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very un monster like to add glowing neon, IMO. I like for others to see me and the monster (still can't think of a name), but usually they hear it first, then I just plan for them to do something stupid. Always assume all cage drivers are stupid and bad drivers, should cover your ass as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
wasnt John Travolta in some movie called electric cowboy? He put those lights all over his horse. Maybe you could do the same with your Monster? Get that disco effect happening. Make your helmet look like a disco ball by putting those little relective deals all over it. If you still have the tail on your bike you could strap a boom box on the back and have a continuous loop of Another One Bites The Dust playing as you cruise through Paducah or Sheboygan or wherever it is that you are trying to be noticed. Dont forget the Elvis sequinned jump suit. You could probably get some armor in there. Your cape would cover up the back protector too.
That actually sounds pretty cool. I may have a winter project now.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
(includiRe: Under body neons. For safety purposes

BTW matt...
dont get discouraged that a bunch of people made fun of your neon idea (including me).
it is not a valid safety item, but if YOU like them, I say do it.

It's definately not the proper 'Ducati' thing to do... a proper Ducatisti only compliments their fine Italian machine with carbon and titanium acessories with proper names like Termignoni and Rizoma on them.

But is is the HOOLIGAN thing to do. It's your bike. put whatever makes you grin on it. if other people dont like it, screw them. and if they give you any guff about it flash them a big smile and tell them 'Bite Me'.
my $.02

S

·
0 Posts
Modulators and loud pipes are the way to go, there is a company in Petaluma (I think) that sells bulbs that replace your stock ones so you don't need to add the whole black box and wiring mess.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
one bit of interesting info on those neon lights though... one of the reasons they are illegal in alot of states is because it renders cop radar useless. The beam will hit the bike but spin around the neon light and it will not return to the radar gun. So unless they are using vascar or a helicopter you can get away with speeding a little easier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Neon makes you invisible and seen at the same time, whoa. LOL :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow. thx for the warining. I have no desire for the neons for looks. It was just a curiosity for safety. I prefer not to get them. I just want to be safe. But i guess if i wanted to i could mont some spare tires to the front and back like a old school taxi cab.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts