Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have an engine noise that is 100% abnormal and I am submitting my case to the hive-mind for opinions. Vertical cylinder, right side of the engine I'm getting a crackle that is NOT a normal 696 engine noise. It is not in time with the engine, does not get louder when RPM's increase and there is no noticable drop in power. Sound does not increase in volume when engine is revved. It is not always present and has no real pattern of when it appears or disappears.

The best way I can describe it is something between a slurp and firecrackers going off a couple hundred feet away. A clack, not a click. Did valves 800 miles ago, I did drop a half ring into the engine oil drain port in the horizontal valve case, but that hasn't caused any problems and I don't think it's that.
I had it up pretty high in RPMs yesterday, but not at redline, maybe 8k on the freeway to get it warmed up to clear up my oil. It's pretty cold and I wanted to clear condensation. Oil is 10w-40 Motul 5100 4T ester. Belts have 800 miles on them and all the hoses are in great condition.

I'm thinking it is possibly the tension adjustment bearing but can't check until this evening. Anyone have any ideas? I tried to take a sound clip, but of course it didn't show up until after I put the recorder away 馃槖

Thanks in advance

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Little update, the cam tensioner bearing gave up the ghost. Took off the belt covers and little ball bearings went all over. New part is 110 bucks but my engine is fine.

Registered
Good to hear you got it sorted so quickly, while at it, you may as well do both tensioner bearings. They are a bi**** to get off the small plate, some are very tight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I did all the bearings except this one when I did the desmo service. 400 was out of the budget, cost of all bearings so I just did 3. They all come off easy when you have an impact screwdriver 馃槀

Registered
Most a Ducati models have tensioner bearings that are just over the counter bearings available for a few bucks each. I just buy mine according to the bearing part number etched into the edge of the race. Are you sure yours aren鈥檛 like that ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir I am. They are about an in long and formed from one piece of metal. No bolt, just a rollow tube. No markings other than Ducati

Registered
If you wouldn鈥檛 mind, post a picture of one, would you ?
No matter how exotic the motorcycle, bearings are usually something out of the bearing catalog. Why ? Because there is very little that鈥檚 not available already, and engineers have better things to do than reinvent the wheel.

Registered
These tensioner bearings are notorious to fail on that generation of Monsters unfortunately.
I don't know any other alternative than buying them from Ducati.
Now you should not have to replace all of them at every major service.
What belt tension did you use?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
145hz on a tuner as stated by the service manual. If it fails again I'm taking it to a machine shop, having the groove welded and cut down to a standard size for a bearing.

Registered
Only a guess. 1 is threadlock, 4 is stud and bearing mount.
If the bearing inner race is actually built into the tensioner assembly , Ducati really went to extremes to make you buy their part. What happens when they decide it鈥檚 not profitable to supply it anymore ?

Registered
I鈥檓 looking at the photo of the tensioner plate. If I owned that bike I鈥檇 be looking for a bearing the same o.d and with either an I.d that would slip on the shaft or remove the shaft and mount the bearing with a bolt. Probably a bolt to allow room for bigger rollers or balls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts