Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see so many beautiful bike on here,and almost all of them(including mine) have those cheap plastic tie wraps on the sweetest frame on the market. Besides rewiring,what is the best way to get rid of them?I cut off a lot of mine and tied them together,but still need some to keep things in place.Any thoughts on this would be great thanks. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
They're kinda like roaches.
Just because you can't see them easily doesn't mean they aren't there.

The trick is to buy zip ties that match your frame and then use sparingly.
It also helps to keep them close to welds (i.e. where the frame tubes meet/cross). ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
i pulled the entire wiring harness from my s2r1000 and re-routed it. had to moave a bunch of other stuff around too, but the result is no zip ties, and no wiring visible.

got a pick here somewhere...

·
Registered
969 Posts
When I was restoring my Norton, the original ties were thin, black, aluminum strips, they had a slot in one end so you fed the tail thru the slot and folded it over.

Since the aluminum was so thin they were cleaner looking than the plastic wire ties.

I did not hunt those down but used the plastic ones so I can't help you on sourcing the aluminum ones...if they sound like something you would prefer I suppose a Norton bulliten Board or owners club might help.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Herm... said:
i pulled the entire wiring harness from my s2r1000 and re-routed it. had to moave a bunch of other stuff around too, but the result is no zip ties, and no wiring visible.

got a pick here somewhere...

That's really great! Got any tips on doing that?

I was looking at a SV650 the other day. You can't see any wiring. Sorely not the case with my monster. I like to see the frame, the engine, but not the wiring.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wanwo said:
That's really great! Got any tips on doing that?
I pulled everything but the motor, yanked the wiring harness out the front of the bike, and started fresh.

most of the wiring now runs under the air box, along the center line of the bike. it was a mess for a while, but thats what winter is for [thumbsup]

·
Registered
241 Posts
We're such fans of our bikes being mechanical marvels, why not get a braided steel tube to run the wires on the outside of the frame and use metal bands to hold it down? If nothing else, it would be an interesting conversation starter... "Hey man, what's up with the big cable?" "Oh that, it's my fuel line. Got to keep a big engine like this well fed."

I just let the wiring harness be as it is, less worry about it getting abraded somewhere hidden from view.

Ken

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
KenSwift said:
We're such fans of our bikes being mechanical marvels, why not get a braided steel tube to run the wires on the outside of the frame and use metal bands to hold it down? If nothing else, it would be an interesting conversation starter... "Hey man, what's up with the big cable?" "Oh that, it's my fuel line. Got to keep a big engine like this well fed."

I just let the wiring harness be as it is, less worry about it getting abraded somewhere hidden from view.

Ken
i like it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
KenSwift said:

Ken
i did this on my first duc. its over rated :p

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I bought my bike used and it had big black rubber ties to hold the wires in place. They're a bit stretchy and have a button one side and a slit on the other. They're a lot bigger than zip ties but they look a lot nicer too. I have one of the old gold painted frames so they're still quite noticeable but don't look as tacky.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Herm... said:
i did this on my first duc. its over rated :p
I'm actually going to get old-time ceramic insulators and run bare wires down the side of the bike; it will act as the wiring harness and also like an electric fence... style and security in one package.

[cheeky]

Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts