Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is probably a really boring question, but what tyre pressures to use in:

A) The twisties
B) Street riding
C) With pillion

Haynes manual recommends Front 2.1 Bar (30 psi) Rear 2.3 Bar (33 psi)

Oh! And what temperature do you check them at?? It's really cold outside (maybe 4 degrees) and they are 0.2 bar less than when I last checked.
I low-sided recently in the cold, so I am particularly interested in this question.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I bother to check tire pressure, I set it to 33/35 and don't worry about what the temperature is. I've found the Monster to be particularly tolerant of lower than optimal pressure. When I was getting a flat rear, it was down under 15 before I even noticed a handling difference.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I generally run 32/34 in the summer & 30/32 in the winter. When I tour on a bike (not a monster), I run around 36.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you still have stickers on your frame, the tire pressure recommendations are on the L-side frame I believe. I just set it at the recommended pressures before I take the bike out no matter what the temp is. The monster is stored in a garage so it's not quite as cold in there as outside during the winter.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Agree on all of the lbs pressure listed above I go with 30 / 32.

Note on checking the pressure - it says to always check when cold.

I hope this doesn't start a huge octane like debate - but I assume that the cold temp of the tire when it is "cold" out - say in the 40's and the tire pressure is 32 - that the "warm" pressure will get to the same point. I assume the tire and road surface will only increase by the same number of degrees when warmed - as opposed to percentage increases. And this will mean that your warm tire temp on a cold day will be the same as a warm tire temp on a warm day because you had the same "starting point". Start at 32 and get to say 36. I also want to point out that a warm tire on a cold day will not reach the same "warm" temp or tire pressure as you would on a warm day - which is fine right. Because you really do have more traction on a warm day and a little extra pressure doesn't harm - whereas on a cold day, if you have too much pressure you are more succeptable to slippage because the contact surfaces are not as prone to sticking.

Just thinking out loud here, because I think about this when inflating tires on cold days for winter rides. Am I making sense - or am I completely off base?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
"cold" means ambiant temperature. if you adjust tire pressure when the tires are warm, they will be too low. air pressure change is about 1 psi/10 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts