Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the Sils 2 into 1 system for my 620. What are the opinions on this? thanks, tommy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disclaimer: i've not heard nor ridden 2-1 Sils on a Duc.

I believe someone posted here that they hurt performance slightly. Try a search in tech & accessories for the past 120 days.

I just do not like the single pipe look much and on the monster it doesnt look that good. Its marginally acceptable on the single sided swingarm models. I've always thought it makes the bike look lopsided. The tucked under the seat look seems better to me.

I've got sil 105db high mounts and love the look if it is a bit loud.
Sil makes some beautiful looking conicals too but just about anything will improve the performance of your bike. The factory pipes are heavy, weight reduction is free horsepower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
although I dont mind the look of the 2-1 pipe, it does not have the best effect on power. the engine 'needs' two separate pipes to have the optimal exhaust flow. if you look around on the board you will see many different variations of slip ons and full systems, also a few different ways of mounting them, just depends on how creative/handy you are.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I was thinking the SilMotor 2-1 system myself but Rudiger Kaemna (a Ducati tuning-guru in Europe) told med that the 2-1 system would give less power than a decent 2-2 system. So i bought 43 mm SilMotor stainless collector and SilMotor low round 105 carbon "silencers"

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Doug Lauflin did some research on this & pretty much got the results mentioned above. Do a search for Manley Cycles, he's got some dyno graphs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the dawn of time, two has been better than one:

Human Beings:
Adam -- one -- lonely
add Eve -- two -- fun, fun, fun

Food:
Hamburger -- single patty -- boring and not very filling
Double Cheeseburger -- two pattys -- tasty and fulfililng

Drink:
One (glass of wine/martini/scotch) -- not bad
Two (glasses of wine/martinis/etc.) -- what back pain?

M/C Exhaust:
One - looks lame and Japanese
Two - instant cool

Why choose to go from two to one? That would be like cutting off a nut just for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I'm in the other camp...

You lose the weight of the extra can and that piece of the header.

The header routing definitely improves cornering clearance.

I like the less cluttered look, particularly from the left side.

It sounds different.

My a$$ dyno doesn't notice any difference in power and the bike is more than fast enough for the street anyway.

Having two cans is like having two nuts... Every guy has them...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The header routing definitely improves cornering clearance.
Maybe I'm just a cornering wuss, but does anybody actually corner hard enough to need high cans let alone going to a 2-1 exhaust setup?

When I scrape around the corner, it is my kickstand or my pegs. Then again, I've never been to the track and my pegs, etc. are obviously stock...

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Maybe I'm just a cornering wuss, but does anybody actually corner hard enough to need high cans let alone going to a 2-1 exhaust setup?

When I scrape around the corner, it is my kickstand or my pegs. Then again, I've never been to the track and my pegs, etc. are obviously stock...
Actually yes, Ppoitras (Patrick) has just started scraping the front bevel of the cans on his 620 yesterday on our last Palomar trip. Since he has been working on the corner entry advice I gave him he's been getting through the corners abit harder. His quote if I remeber right was "I think its time for High Pipes" or sometimg like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody know how much that roadracing exhaust is? More importantly, does anybody here have one??? How does it sound?? I REALLY like the way that setup looks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I met a guy in PA with it on a 750. It was loud. Really Loud. IF they made it for my S4R, I would seriously consider getting it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks awesome on those project bikes they have. very industrial looking designs. the website doesnt show the exhaust for anything past a 2001 I believe.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Ive heard that ground clearance is a issue with that under-engine RoadRacing exhaust. I personally thinks it looks a bit funny and strange with two silencers UNDER the engine. But we all have different tastes..........

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The OEM cans are really big, and lots of people grind the leading edge of them. It's not necessarly high pipes that fixes it, just smaller cans does a lot.

That part where the pipe comes out of the crossover/collector on the OEM headers and hooks into the slip-ons is also pretty easy to put into the ground. A bike with a low rear end and the forks pulled more through the clamps, or a bike with the suspension compressed by speed in a corner or a rider who's too heavy for the suspension set-up will find that the header is the 3rd or 4th thing to touch tarmac. It's a big issue for some people who race Monsters.

--Fillmore

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i tell you what.... if I ever manage to get the duc down enough with my high sills to scrape.. chances are good I would have wished for a pair of frame sliders and some good leathers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey dennis, i bet if you ran your s4R with NO mufflers, it would be pretty similar to the roadracing system. i haven't had an opportunity to cut one up, but that "belly" in the header has to have some muffling/baffling effect.

or you could clamp a couple of 4" straight tubes of the correct (40mm?) diameter directly to the cowbelly to have a bit more gas control upon exit?

even better, cut into the ends of the 4" tubes so you'll have "slash-tips"! if you jetcoat the headers black, and polish those tips, you'll have a real "hotrod" theme going ;)

and what next, replace the clip-ons with ape-hangers?

;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts