Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls it's been a fun week here at the homestead. First we lay the scoot over at about 5 MPH at SongDog ranch while riding through a sandy river wash. Dirt riding on the Monster...while two up...fun fun fun. No damage really, didn't even break the bar-end mirror and I already had the tank dent. Then....

Today while riding on my favorite roller-coaster of a road, Spunky Canyon, I come around a corner and...enough sand to build a F'ing castle. I do the natural thing...low side doing about 30 MPH. As described by Retro and other riders, watching your bike slide in front of you while your sliding is kinda beautiful or surrealistic, not really scary. All my gear worked just like it should have. Even the slide mark on my hip is right oven the hip pad in my pants.

Damage to the bike:
tank has matching dent from throttle side switch gear
bar is bent an inch or two lower on that side
pipe is ground down
rear brake lever is twisted into a semi-u shape

I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket now since my bad luck is all used up. If anybody has a lever for sale/trade/barter let me know. Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kinda prophetic there man, didn't you say you were going to invest in bar sliders? Please call me if you see anything in my future O sage one! I'm glad you are OK.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
David,
I can't believe the news. First, let me say I'm glad to hear you are o.k. You are a very good rider so this goes to show that it really can happen to any of us. It is a good thing you had your good gear on during the low side. I wish I had extra parts to give you. Maybe you can try to score some off of e-bay. Seems like there is usually various parts listed at any given time. Glad to hear you are o.k. and looking forward to seeing you back on the road soon!
Kevin

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Phew!! Glad you are ok. No parts that you need but will ask around! Gear is a good thing!

A crash you walk away from is always a good crash!

Hope you're bike is up and ready to ride soon!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
That blows.
Glad to hear your gear worked the way it's supposed to and that you're OK.

I recall that several folks have successfully straightened brake and shift levers. My great-grandfather was a blacksmith, so I'll give it a go if you like.;)

If your pipe is FUBAR, I've got my stockers on a shelf, I'm pretty sure they'll fit. Let me know.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David,
It was good meeting you and Mary at SD. I'm sorry to hear about your get offs, but very glad you are oK! That hill at SD was a b*tch! I had a friend ride my bike down for me because I didn't want to crash on it AGAIN. I felt lame, but oh well! THEN...I dropped it again in a parking lot on the way home..damn gravel and street bikes dont mix! Anyway..glad you're oK! Keep on keepin on!
- sarah

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words guy/girls. I think this is all for the best though. Now I don't have to wonder about crashing or ride apprehensibly because of it. Now I get to go fast ;D, no more holding back...I've just started working on my wheelies and I've got a guide on how to do stoppies...

Thanks for the offer Speed but my pipe will live, plus I want to try out that ProMotoBillet insert thingy, hopefully it will let me get away with not running pipes [smiley=evil.gif]

I'm glad I had all that dead cow on Ryan, it saved my @ss. The funniest thing is that there's a red streak on the road where my knee puck was grinding along, while I was sliding along. Hope I don't have to crash to get my knee down every time...

Don't count me out for Sat. yet. I'm off to the store to pick up some Rentals and a set of grip, after that I'm good to go.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Glad you're OK. Thank God for riding gear. Sorry the bike went down, but the bike can be fixed.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Supadpa.

I have some stock levers off a da 900.......welcome to em...
wan't that fun? Same pad skid here......

John I have a dent to pull.......

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take em' Kevin, thanks for looking out for the CycleCat impared...

It was fun in a way...

A question for you guys: Did you drill holes in your new handlebars or just cut off the little locator nubs on the switch gear?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The only problem with the 900 levers is that they are for the remote res masters. Without the little push pin that goes in them you wont be able to ues them. Unless you already have remote resies on your bike, but you would have had to change them.

Yes you do drill holes for the locating nubs. Too bad your at the other end of LA as we are putting on Ppoitras's clipons Saturday morning and will have all the tools out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wonderin bout dat...but hey maybe it's time for remotes and clip ons....then you can have my levers.....hell yeah..... ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts