Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
It's easier if the 2 bikes do different things.
We have 2 Monsters, and 2 Suzuki DR650's.
As much as I love the Monster...its crap on a dirt road. ;D

Oh, and the key to spousal approval is getting them involved.
Get that girl in an MSF class!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to get her involved, her parents both ride but she is really against bikes. She is in the medical field and has seen the worst end of it and I respect her enough not to push the subject.

You're right about the bike doing different things, that's why I am having a tough time justifying it to myself. I just love the Duc!

A DS would be awesome!

Now I'm up to three! ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Higgie's feedback is spot on.

If you make the Mille 'track only', it'll be an easier sell.

On a more basic level, if there's no hardship associated with having two bikes, it shouldn't be an issue. If finances or storage space or whatever aren't strained by two bikes, then there's no reason not to have 'em.

BTW, you've got more than one pair of shoes, right?
And to push the envelope of Politically Incorrect, your fiance likely has more than one pair of shoes too? ;)

You're the one that is going to be married to her, so all of our feedback is free advice, you get what you pay for.....

If you can only keep one of 'em, keep the S4. This is the Monster Board, you don't really think we'd agree with you selling it, do you? ;D

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
My wife is in the medical field too (OR Nurse)...
Here's her take on riding: (we've been together long enough i can read her mind)
All activities contain an element of risk.
People die slipping in the bathtub, but you never hear anybody say 'i wouldnt get in one of those tub deathtraps!'
I know people you have been killed or seriously injured in MC accidents...I know a lot more who have died in car accidents, from cancer, and heart attacks.
Every time you get on a bike you are taking a risk.
Take every precaution to mitigate that risk...safety equipment, training, never drink and ride, and REALLY pay complete attention when you ride.

Riding has become a big part of our lives, it is our primary hobby and passion.
If one of us dies on the motorcycle...at least we went doing something we loved to do.

But if she doesnt want to ride, it wont be fun for her or worth the risk

(geez, where the hell did that soapbox thing come from??

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
We have 4 bikes ( both my husband and I ride) Riding is the biggest part of our lives and something we love to do together. We would like a 5th, but financially we'd have to sell one to buy one. But we would rather not.

I go out to the garage every morning and look at them all and say" ok which one today?" Weather has a big part in the choice, in the winter we like to keep them all running , so that means riding them all .
My husband has his, which I rarely ride and I have mine which he rarely rides and then I have the Monster which he rides sometimes, and he has the Sporty, which I ride sometimes.
The Monster is my all weather bike, it goes out in inclement weather , cause it is easy to clean.

But it's sorta fun.... eenie, meenie, minee, mo...I pick this one today!!

And YES get the fiance' riding!!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
How about 10 good reasons? I have three bikes and a wife, so I know of what I speak. ;D

1. You need more than 1 bike so one can be in the shop, apart in the garage, whatever and you still have one to ride. Actually, I guess I need 4 because I am working on all 3 right now.

2. You need different colors/styles for different moods.

3. What if you got back from a long ride and are too tired to clean up the really dirty bike? You need something to leave on immediately in case someone calls about another ride.

4. If you get enough bikes and your significant other is not into them, he/she might not even notice if you got another. Unfortunately, this is not the case with me.

5. You really need a one-up and a two-up bike.

6. More riding styles - cruiser, sport, sport-touring, off-road, etc. I haven't gone too far down that road yet. Maybe I need 5 or 6 bikes.

7. Multiple bikes don't get lonely in the garage.

8. If you buy multiple brands, you will really increase your t-shirt collection.

9. Its really cool/fun to say "which one am I going to ride today?"

10. After doing a track day, I think a track bike is a GREAT idea. Maybe I need 7 bikes...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Variety is the spice of life.... We have 4 bikes and we both ride. As was stated, everything has risks. Get bizzy living or get bizzy dying ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The current count in the garage is 14 bikes. There are never really too many bikes, only garages too small to house them. If your wife-to-be in any way would prevent you from doing something you're passionate about (whether it's riding, skiing, jogging, golf, whatever) then she's not a keeper. She has to want you for who you are, and that includes whatever hobbies or interests you have that make up your character. That said, you don't need to justify anything. Park your guilt, keep both bikes, and enjoy them both in their element. Sounds to me like you still need a good dirt bike and a dual sporter, and don't forget a good sport-tourer (ST4/Multistrada?).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think three bikes is a good minimum. You need an all around town touring street bike a full on sport bike and a track only bike. I am working on throwing in a couple more just for good measure.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll be needing alternate transportation, just in case you crash the track bike. ;D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All awesome advice, its obvious the desire for a Monster correlates to high mental activity!

Thanks.

It's actually not really an issue. Financially I wouldn't be doing it if it were. It

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
With so many different types of motorcycles out there it's hard to be passionate about just one. More than one type of bike offers much greater flexibility in exercising that passion (weather, road type, one up or two up, etc, etc). It's an easy sell (to yourself and/or others) if the bikes are obviously for different purposes. Probaly the easiest approach would be to get her involved in riding so she can appreciate your interest and even develop her own. An M750 would be a perfect starter bike for her. . . Good luck.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I got 3 defences for ya:

A) Multiple personality disorder (similar to insanity). Each one of your 'characters' need a bike that fits their image.

B) 2 bikes, 1 girl, is better than 1 bike, 2 girls.

C) If having 2 bikes doesn't make sense, then neither does Chewbacca (an 8 foot tall Wookie) living on Endor with a bunch of 3 foot tall Ewoks... but that's the way it was.. so that's the way the bikes must be. (I think LOKI used this defence before... ).

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
We have 3. His'nHers Superglides and the Monster to share/fight over. My wife is considerably less addicted than I am. Bikes are who I am and there is no way not to ride. The wife understands that this is part of what makes me me.. the guy she fell in love with.

Can you live without the bikes? Some can.

Can the relationship include things that completely exclude the other? Some can some can't. It's all new and exciting now, but sitting and staring at each other is not enough for the typical person, especially one who has the bikes you have.

The medical this is not a deal breaker. People die, on bikes, watching TV, from drinking and by getting hit by cars while walking. People get hurt... same as above. I ride with psychiatrists, 2 orthopedic surgeons, a few nurses, and a couple of other psychologists. We even have a Monster riding neurologist who lurks on this board (JR, show your face and I will give you the names of all your old attendings who now ride). All weigh the risks and benefits and have decided it's worth it. As my buddy says "or I can die on the couch". Redline and I are both Psychologists and occasionally have to deal with the aftermath of bike accidents. I'm sure Daffe has also. Again you weigh the risks and benefits. She will learn to understand even if she never enjoys bikes or includes herself in your other passion.

As for getting her involved, not with those bikes. Riding on the back of a Monster or going to a track to watch you have fun (and be at risk) are both MISERABLE choices. If you really want to include her, you may have to have at least 1 bike she can ride on and enjoy herself.

Doc
Still one lucky guy

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
As my wife told my daughter "If he gets killed on the bike, I win (life insurance) and if he's happy, I win. It's a win, win situation." ;)

If one of us dies on the motorcycle...at least we went doing something we loved to do.
;D

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
As my wife told my daughter "If he gets killed on the bike, I win (life insurance) and if he's happy, I win. It's a win, win situation." ;
;D
I just hope that if my wife crashes and gets killed...she does it on the Suzuki. I've been coveting her Monster for a long time. [smiley=cheeky.gif]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You worry to much

My current crop is
'02 MV Agusta F4S
'02 M620Sie
'00 DRZ400E
'99 FZX250 Zeal

The girl gets to ride the FZX and the montser and I get to rise them all ! Works for me!

Darryn

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
AYmen Brotha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts