Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just "won" this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200074213433. Been reading up on turbo applications and installing a proven turbo kit on my other bike (H-D VRSCR Street Rod). Will be starting this thing in earnest later this year. Bought these now because the suitability seems high and the price was reasonable, even if I have to mod them to make both exactly the same.

Thoughts welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
"This can only end in tears. I just know it"

Bill... what happened to you diatribe about not needed to be the fastest and all that junk huh? And were you not just grousing copiously about the time it took you to find the right carb jetting combo when you last messed with you engine? Huh Huh?

But, if you're serious about this, look at the featured moter right now - it's a turbo equipped 900. Also hunt around for TurboMonsters post about the tech behind it. I jut saw a neat diagram he did of the pipes he greated to run the turbo.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yuu said:
"This can only end in tears. I just know it"

Bill... what happened to you diatribe about not needed to be the fastest and all that junk huh? And were you not just grousing copiously about the time it took you to find the right carb jetting combo when you last messed with you engine? Huh Huh?

But, if you're serious about this, look at the featured moter right now - it's a turbo equipped 900. Also hunt around for TurboMonsters post about the tech behind it. I jut saw a neat diagram he did of the pipes he greated to run the turbo.
Still don't need to be the fastest, and won't be. At least not on the roads we all like to ride. This is just for fun and a little techno-excitement. The carb thing was frustrating, but I took care of it, right? The stock Mikunis weren't capable of being re-jetted to match the new exhaust, and I should have bought the Keihins in the first place.

Have been on the TurboMonsters site a lot and am in touch with a couple of the builders. This is all about the journey -- make power without tearing apart the engine, etc. I've almost run out of mods I want to do on the Monster, and the Harley mods will be finished up by April I need something to do in the way of mods. Jeez, give me a break.

The "turboyourharley.com" site had a video of a bike on a dyno accelerating from 60 to 140 MPH in under 4 seconds, but they took it down. For some peculiar reason I want a bike that can do that, even if I never actually twist the throttle that hard for that long.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Odd Duc said:
I need something to do in the way of mods. Jeez, give me a break.
If you want a project... I got some ideas for you... and even a bunsiness proposal! You can sponsor me and build me a track bike... yeah... There was a rashed 748 out there recently - that'd keep you busy for a while and I'll have fun riding it. >:D I like this plan.

I'm just glad your HD, and you didn't get splammo-d by that curb lane speeder that one night.

But on a tech note, and not to thread jack - why dual as opposed to a single? If the waste gate is set to 7 psi, a single turbo unit should provide more than enough pressure. Do you want all the extra steel spagetti that a 2nd unit would require?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yuu said:
But on a tech note, and not to thread jack - why dual as opposed to a single? If the waste gate is set to 7 psi, a single turbo unit should provide more than enough pressure. Do you want all the extra steel spagetti that a 2nd unit would require?
Actually less and simpler plumbing than for a single turbo. A V-type engine needs two long pipes to connect the exhaust ports to the turbo and then another long one (or two) to re-connect to the exhaust(s). Then a pipe to the intercooler and one from the intercooler to the airbox. That's five (six) -- three (four) of which are fairly long.

I'm going to connect each turbine directly to an exhaust port and thence back into the existing 2-into-1 exhaust system. On the compressor side one short pipe from the front turbo to the intercooler and one longer one (smaller diameter than an exhaust line) from the rear turbo to the intercooler. Then one short line from intercooler to airbox. Same five lines but most of them shorter and no more visible than the stock pipes in the case of the exhaust. The only giveaway to the casual observer will be the intercooler where the stock oil cooler should be and the oil cooler relocated below it, plus the pipe from the rear compressor to the intercooler, which I may be able to hide somewhat. Okay, also the front turbo and the two air-filter pods sticking out.

Right now this is a half-thought-out plan. By next year at this time it will either be a very cool reality, a source of incredible frustration, or a pile of parts gathering dust on a shelf in my shop. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Hey, I think it looks fun. :-d

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
LOOKING AT THE PIC....you have 1 oil fed turbo and 1 possibly sealed ceramic bearing turbo....how do you plan to feed the oil to that turbo to cool it?....and does this mean you might have to increase the volume that the oil pump puts out as well as the volume of oil in the system therefore making an oil change potentially more of a hassle to get all of the oil drained out or just end up mixing dirty and good oil kinda as people do now by not getting what is in the oil cooler out for example.....just a quick thought is all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts