Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sorting through some old magazines, and found this 2 page article in the April 1996 Cycle World.

I looked at the last turbocharging thread, and decided against recycling it, as the discussion got a little heated. :mad:

So here it is, this is a "cover" shot, and the two links will take you to the pics of the pages.

Readability is marginal, but if you're interested and can't read it, IM me and I'll E-mail the images directly to you.

Page 1

Page 2

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool project he's got going....Thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Hi,

I very proud of my Turbo Monster! It's the funniest bike I've ever ridden. ;D

I bought the bike about a year ago, and with a little work, it keep getting better. I've been in touch with Tony Foster (of PCS Dayton) to try to create a online archive of the Turbo Monsters: http://www.TurboMonster.com/ .

According to Tony Foster, he made 4 complete bikes and sold 14 kits. I bike I have is one of the kits. I got it from a friend of mine in Phoenix, who was the original owner. The kit was installed and has been upgraded primarily by Tom Hull of http://www.TomsItalianTuneAndService.com/ .

The '96 Cycle World article was kind of premature in the fact the kit at the time was not fully developed. In the article it says, the kit was able to go from 82 HP to 104 HP using 5# of boost, with bad jetting.

With a new steel air-box (designed by Tom Hull) for my bike, some over sized jets, running up to 11# of boost and using ELF fuel (instead of pump gas) you can much better results. This winter, when the temperature in Arizona is a lot cooler, I'm going to Dyno my monster and post the the results on my site.

If any one has comment or questions or photos or information for the Turbo Monsters site please feel free to send them to me. If I can't answer your questions I'll forward them on to Tony Foster & Tom Hull.

I've started talking with some friends about creating a more stable version of the turbo kit [using a Aerocharger] for the water cooled S4 Monster, which would include an intercooler system. 8)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice to see a turbo thread. I started the other "heated" turbo thread a few months ago. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome. Least I could do since the flamethrowers came out last time.

Interesting project, no?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Just a quick update on my Turbo Monster project. The bike is about 90% complete now. The engine and suspension is ready, and the remaining body work changes are done are almost done.:)

I had the bike dyno'ed on Oct 2nd (using 91 oct. fuel). After a trial run, that broke the boost gauge, and some miner jetting adjustments the bike made 112.1 Hp @ 8,300 RPM's (at the rear wheel). With 74.8 ft-lbs. Torque @ 7,600 RPM's and a top speed of 143.5 MPH. Copies of the Dyno reports are posted on the http://www.TurboMonster.com/ web site.;D

The PCS Turbo Kit is not making close to 30% more horsepower then the standard M900. 8)

S

·
0 Posts
aaaaaaahahahahaha!!!! i love the gurgling sound of the wastegate between shifts!!! what a hoot man. nevermind the 955 kit for my s4, now i've gotta get a turbo!!! the more interesting sounds coming from my bike, the better. and a nice kick in power to go along with it wouldn't hurt at all!

now the down-side of this post... and i don't mean to take away anything from your efforts, but keep in mind the top speed posted doesn't take into account the effects of wind-resistance. i won't proclaim to be an expert but i'd guess you'd have to knock off some zip down to about 130 mph? naked bike, afterall...

but 112 RWHP's pretty hefty out of a 2v'd 900! what kind of boost are you pushing for those ponies? something reasonably mild to keep reliability in tact?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Hi, The bike is current set to run about 7 pounds of boost max.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow! Blast from the past. I used to get my 907 worked on at the old Dave's Cycle (Tom's dad) in Arizona. Also went to several races to watch those guys and rode with Dave a lot.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
------snip------------
now the down-side of this post... and i don't mean to take away anything from your efforts, but keep in mind the top speed posted doesn't take into account the effects of wind-resistance. i won't proclaim to be an expert but i'd guess you'd have to knock off some zip down to about 130 mph? naked bike, afterall...----------------------------------------
Nah, I think he could get a buck forty out of it.

I've seen a buck thirty (indicated) on my S4, and it barely cracked 100 RWHP. Had a little more stick left, too, but the pucker factor was too much. That and I was running with a tankbag so it was extra windy...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts