Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this rebuild kit off ebay. I've never rebuilt one before but it seems pretty easy on the surface. Just put the parts back in the same way you got them out, right? Thing is, there seems to be an aluminum ring that holds the teflon ring in place. I was able to hook the old ring and drag it out, but that aluminum ring is still in place. Short of getting pretty medieval on this thing, I don't see how it's coming out. Maybe I can cut or deform it enough that I can rip the old one out- pushing the new one in I could see being feasible with a cylinder and press or clamp- still it seems way harder than it should be. This could just be a snap ring or something. Can somebody offer some advice on this task?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
When you say "i was able to hook the teflon ring out" surely this Teflon one is just an 'O' ring seal. You should be able to fit a new one in. I've never done a cylinder like this but have done others.
usually just replace all wearing parts, ie. seals etc.
The 'aluminium ' ring looks fixed, it looks in good condition, why remove it? Damage the honed bore and it's toast.
Sometimes these parts are included in rebuild kits, but are pressed in and don't usually wear a lot.
Or maybe a special tool is required. Like I said, I've never done one like this, maybe some one else can correct me if wrong.
hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the teflon seal I took out has a more specialized profile than a regular O-ring. I anticipated replacing it (or the whole cylinder assembly) so I wasn't too concerned about damaging it at the time. I could maybe jimmy the replacement in there but not without bending it and distort quite a bit. The notion that they included that new metal ring in there suggested to me that they'd anticipate your removing the old (somehow) and pressing the replacement in there. The ring would securely hold everything else in place- from what I can tell WAY too securely, but whatever. It's mostly the barb that this ring has to hop over that I see as problematic.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, if it's a lipped seal then the alu' ring should come out.
Just looked at an old Yamaha one, it's similar and yes, has seal not o ring.
The yamaha has a seal, then similar ring, which just slides in easily and the piston assembly is inserted and held in place with circlip.
Any chance you could use a long nail from other end to tap it out. grind sharp end of nail flat first.
just an idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts