Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought an S2R 800. Previous owner was a 5'3" woman. She had the bike lowered at the dealer when she bought it. I re-adjusted the suspension pre-load and dampening to stock specs per the manual. This raised the rear a little but it still is too low. So I am looking in the manual and it mentions adjusting the tie rod to raise or lower the rear ride height, however it does not give stock specs like it does for the other suspension adjustments. Does anyone know the stock length of the tie rod? The lock nut is backed up completely so that no threads are showing on the tie rod. Can anyone with a stock suspension tell me how many threads are visible at each end of the tie rod? For reference this is the page in the manual I am referring to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Did they perhaps install the low seat for the S2R as well?
It lowers ride height by around 1 inch more.

I have a full size one I'd be prepared to swap if yours is in equally good shape :)

I seem to recall max height on the height rod being 4 or 5 threads visible max (on each end), though I have the 1000, and I know some of the adjustables weren't on the 800.

Rob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
there also exists aftermarket "strut rod" things that help with lowering/raising the rear end. not sure if your stocker has been swapped out or not. whatever you do with the rear make sure you also accomodate for in the front. ie: if the fork is dropped down in the triple clamp, make sure you bring it up too or the steering may become twitchy

also, i sent you a PM if you want to move that "low" seat ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updating for anyone else in the future, figured this out a while ago but got busy. Downloaded the factory service manual. No mention of specific measurements on the tie rod other than the maximum length you can adjust it. Per the manual the stock ride height measured from the ground to the rear part of frame is 800mm. Feels much better now that the pre-load, dampening, and ride height are back to stock.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Updating for anyone else in the future, figured this out a while ago but got busy. Downloaded the factory service manual. No mention of specific measurements on the tie rod other than the maximum length you can adjust it. Per the manual the stock ride height measured from the ground to the rear part of frame is 800mm. Feels much better now that the pre-load, dampening, and ride height are back to stock.
How much do you think it had been lowered?
Kind of interesting to hear the minimum to max amounts.. I think mine's adjusted as low as it can go, in theory. S2R1000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much do you think it had been lowered?
Kind of interesting to hear the minimum to max amounts.. I think mine's adjusted as low as it can go, in theory. S2R1000.
It was lowered as much as you could. There were zero threads visible on the tie rod. I did measure it before I started adjusting things. Also kind of interesting is that I recently changed out the stock exhaust to a carbon unit that is much lighter and removing that weight from the rear of the bike raised it up a few more mm from stock.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
OP, i sent you another PM. hopefully you get e-mail notifications lol
He was actually willing to sell to me too..
I guess I backed out. Hope he isn't annoyed, but here's my problem..

I can't confirm my current seat isn't a low already as neither mine nor his has the serial on it to tell. He has a second seat with "Tall seat" written on it, so I'm a little hesitant to jump in only to end up with two of the same seat :D

I'm pretty sure they didn't make an extra tall seat, so.. It's confusing. Is the tall seat he has the OEM size?, and the other a stock 620 monster seat. The so called "low seat"?
All of these usually have serial numbers on them, but mine doesn't and neither does his.

Nyah, it's frustrating. I can't figure out a reliable method for measuring them either. They look almost identical side by side.

Rob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well, there was the standard seat, the DP "Low", and the DP "Touring"

from what i can tell, the Low is a bit flatter in the front and deeper in the back, while the Touring has more of a "hump" all the way down the center. that being said, no, i wouldnt buy one without the part number on it either, as trying to tell the difference in pics would probably be pretty difficult. FYI, its 59520202D

He was actually willing to sell to me too..
I guess I backed out. Hope he isn't annoyed, but here's my problem..

I can't confirm my current seat isn't a low already as neither mine nor his has the serial on it to tell. He has a second seat with "Tall seat" written on it, so I'm a little hesitant to jump in only to end up with two of the same seat :D

I'm pretty sure they didn't make an extra tall seat, so.. It's confusing. Is the tall seat he has the OEM size?, and the other a stock 620 monster seat. The so called "low seat"?
All of these usually have serial numbers on them, but mine doesn't and neither does his.

Nyah, it's frustrating. I can't figure out a reliable method for measuring them either. They look almost identical side by side.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
well, there was the standard seat, the DP "Low", and the DP "Touring"

from what i can tell, the Low is a bit flatter in the front and deeper in the back, while the Touring has more of a "hump" all the way down the center. that being said, no, i wouldnt buy one without the part number on it either, as trying to tell the difference in pics would probably be pretty difficult. FYI, its 59520202D
Hey thanks for that.. I guess I knew of the low seat serial, and the number before that, that it replaced, and also the OEM regular.. But yeah, none of the numbers on mine seem to represent anything I can look up.
Wasn't aware of a touring option though..

You think he has the touring seat as the "Tall"?
The fact it's even a printed label saying that.. Very strange.

Rob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The touring seat is Ducati 96787702B, but I’ve also found a “High seat” option with part number 59511491A

I really don’t know at this point, lol, but I do know I’d like to slap a “Low” on there to see if it helps get my feet flatter on the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suspect its the seat that is the big issue, if you cannot get a standard seat I suggest a Sargent Seat and ask them to add an inch that is if its you leg to seat distance that is a problem.
If on the other hand you feel the suspension is too low there are 2 things you need to consider, static ride height and spring rating, first the bike should compress the spring without you sitting on it, then when you are on the bike it should compress the spring further, for the correct way to set this have a look at Dave Moss suspension set up on uTube, you just may need to change the spring, if the spring is correct the ride height link that is fitted as standard on this model was never meant to be adjustable, you would need to find an aftermarket adjustable link for it and these are hard to come by these days, main benefit with the ride height link is to jack up the rear without changing the suspension rate etc and has the effect of stepping the fork angle and thus making the bike steer quicker, however it can make a bike feel nervous in a straight line so please be careful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts