Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a monster 620 dark with stock rear set. I think the rear set is the culprit of this.

so when i lean on the corners, sometimes i find myself scrapping the footpegs (shifter and rear brake) if i am leaning too much. does this happen to anyone?

what do i do to prevent this? do i need to pick up aftermarket rear set? if so, what kind?

also the bike emits smokes off the engine on start up? i dont think it's running rich or lean. i did spill gas before but it should have long evaporated. what could the reason for the smoke?

thank you for your valuable feedback.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Scraping is a problem for everyone, buy some adjustable rearsets that go up and back. The brand isn't important, they are all pretty good. One of the things to strive for are footpegs that are narrow than stock - the narrower, the better.
Problem #2 is tougher. The description is a classic valve guide seal leak, but, I wouldn't make a big deal and fear you HAVE to resolve it, just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scraping is a problem for everyone, buy some adjustable rearsets that go up and back. The brand isn't important, they are all pretty good. One of the things to strive for are footpegs that are narrow than stock - the narrower, the better.
Problem #2 is tougher. The description is a classic valve guide seal leak, but, I wouldn't make a big deal and fear you HAVE to resolve it, just keep an eye on it.
Norm,

thank you for the feedback. could you please let me know how to solve the valve leak issue?

do i just need to replace the gasket? i actually bought new gasket when i did my valve adjustment less than a 1000 miles ago. did i not tighten the screws to the right torque? could that be the culprit or it's more serious than that?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could also make sure the sag is set properly, it might raise the rear, resulting in more lean angle. May also have to learn how to get your butt over and out of the seat, that will also reduce lean angle.

As far as an oil leak, if you did your own valve adjustment, I would look at the valve cover gasket to see if not properly torqued. That would be my first guess.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Good things to do tripod but ultimately just bandaids on the real problem. He's still going to need rearsets (and then higher cans).
The valve seal covers the valve and can be seen with the cover off. You "might" be able to change it with the head in place although I've always taken the head off. Once off, it's pretty easy to do.
However, we can't know if that is indeed the cause without more testing. I'd just leave it until it get's worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good things to do tripod but ultimately just bandaids on the real problem. He's still going to need rearsets (and then higher cans).
The valve seal covers the valve and can be seen with the cover off. You "might" be able to change it with the head in place although I've always taken the head off. Once off, it's pretty easy to do.
However, we can't know if that is indeed the cause without more testing. I'd just leave it until it get's worse.
thanks guys.

i got high mount carbon fiber leo vince so those cans don't get anywhere near the ground...

i wanted to try to bring the bike to the ground as much as possible so butt shifting is necessary but that would reduce the angle... i guess it's just a bad thing to do... ok time to learn how to butt shift...

i will take the valve cover off and retorque them again... the new gasket i bought are non-metal materials but the stock ones are metal... would that make any difference?

what are other factors that could contribute to valve leak?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts