Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Triumph Speed Triple 1050?

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rmm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I like to have some feedback here and opinions too.

My duca 999 is stolen and I like a naked bike. The options are the 2008 1050 speed triple or a 2007 s2r 800.

The price is very similar in my country ($300 difference), all two are in perfect conditions (better that new), all two have less that 3k miles, the s2r have a full termi, the triumph have lots off triumph accesories.

I like a bike to 75% city use and 25% long trips (400 to 900 miles) in some weekends.

What is my best choice?

I realy preciate the opinions :) not only power, but handling (corners, etc.) brakes... the Ducas have extraordinary frame, what about the triple?

#3 ·
The speed triple gets great magazine review for being a crazy bike, IMO it has way too much power for a naked. Which leads me to the next point, it has 75 some odd ft-lbs of torque and is one of the shortest liter naked bikes. WHHHHEEEEEELIIIIIIes. THey seem to have a lot more complaints on triumph forums for reliability issues, stuff you think would be caught in the testing process. (such as clutch cables snapping after 1k miles due to a routing issue). The Triumph is definately a faster bike, but would most likely be a hassle to own. The monster is less powerful, but thats because its simpler and less stressed. It would be the bike to live with on a daily basis, and have a blast. Plus the Trumpet has a quirky look that works for most, the Duc is timeless IMO one of the best looking bikes ever made.

Whatever you do, enjoy!!!

#4 ·
Owning both a M750 and a 955 Speed Triple, my perspective might be
informative. First let me say that the 800 s2r is overpriced compared to
the Triumph, everything being equal. As for the assertion that the Triumph
is more unreliable than the Monster flies in the face of my experience.
My Speed Triple with 23K miles has NEVER caused me a single problem, while
the Monster at 28K miles has been stopped with both an ignition pickup failure
and a voltage regulator meltdown. As for which is a better street (urban)
bike, my M750 wins hands down. It feels much smaller and nimbler,
even though the actual specs are quite close. The quirky fueling just
off idle on the Speed Triple is annoying. But on the highway the Triumph
is magic. All that power is intoxicating, even if the seat soon
wears out its welcome. Bottom line: go with the one that touches a
nerve. If it's the Ducati, beat him down on price.

#5 ·
I used to have a 955 Daytona, and at 60,000 miles when I got rid of it, the only issue was a very small oil leak that left a 1/4" drop of oil wherever you parked it (marking its territory, I suppose), and wore out a set of the full floating front rotors (it started making a chinga-chinga sound going down the road). Other than that, and a clutch cable, but my XR600 one fit it, it was deadnuts reliable.

I would think that the Big Naked Triple would have about 50hp more than the 800, I've been riding with one, and the little Duc can't keep up.

Personally, I'd get the Triumph. Those Triples have as much personality as my Duc has.

#6 ·
I have a s2r 800. used to have a triumph tt600 for what its worth...

for 75% city use it is hard to beat the S2R. It is super light, very maneuverable, totally tractable at slow speed (14t front sprocket helps). Simple, reliable, etc.

Neither bike is going to be amazing on the hwy. In my opinion, top speed is limited by one's tolerance for wind pressure WAY before power on any naked bike.

I've also owned a M750, which felt slightly underpowered. The S2R 800 is a really nice balance because I can wring its neck, ride it at 100% and not be going 150mph. I'm 145lbs for reference and I have never found the S2R to be underpowered.

I also have to say that amongst all the bikes ive ever owned, I think the S2R is FAR AND AWAY the best looking. Every time i walk up to it I am semi stunned that I own it. It is a really well executed bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.