Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I'm trying to install my new, shiny cycle cat clip ons...but I can't seem to figure out how to get at the pinch bolt on the upper triple clame that is between the steering head and the ignition column? Any tricks...the outer pinch bolts are a no brainer, but even when I screw the steering stop all the way out, I still can't turn the forks enough to get an allen wrench in there to loosen the bolt.

thanks for the help

Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I might not have described it correctly.

The Tripleclamp pinch bolt that holds the triple clamp onto the steering stem. That's the one I can't get to. It's sort of behind everything (ignition and gas tank)

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Right, and if you drop the forks, the top triple clamp doesn't need to be removed to install clip ons. :) Otherwise, the answer to your question is to remove ALL of those items which you cannot work around. Did you try a "ball allen" socket?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I had to remove the upper triple clamp last week (from the remains of my Monster) and I could only get to the bolt you're talking about by turning the front end slightly to the left and going in from behind where the ignition lock used to be. There was no other way to get to it.

So, Cptbuellx1, you still haven't answered the question of why you feel the need to remove the upper triple clamp. Most clipons can be installed without doing that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say that the reason for wanting to remove the triple clamp as opposed to the wheel is....

Honestly the only reason is that when I installed some heli-bars on my old 929 taking the triple clamp off took about two minutes....I just figured it would be simpler than messing with the front wheel, lowering forks etc..... Maybe I was wrong about the easier part, but I was hoping I was missing something. Yes, removing the ignition switch was my original thought, I was just hoping there was some little trick I was missing out on.,

Thanks all...I'm off to remove a key switch...

Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, guys...got the triple clamp off, installed the cycle cat clip ons...talk about a different riding position! I think I like it...But the bike still has a bit of a wobble mid corner. From what I've read about ducatis it seems that is this a problem with most of their bikes (at least in the british bike press) So maybe stiffer springs are next...I only weigh about 165, I have one line of pre load showing on the front with about 32 mm of sag. And about 30 mm of sag in the rear...seems a bit soft up front to me, what do you all say?

Ciao for now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts