Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a Nichols. I see plenty of people here have them and love them which is why I wanted one. Only a few here have changed back to stock. Today I decided I'm in the latter group.

Does it rev up quicker? Yes, well maybe. I honestly can't say I notice a big difference. Some difference yes, but it's not like the bike is transformed into something new. I may have grown to appreciate it more as my riding skills improve but the thing is it comes with two cons that I immediately noticed and don't want.

1. Increased vibration
2. Increased low speed shudder

Degree of vibration can be hard to gauge, but one thing I noticed that confirmed for me that it was vibrating more was when I powered on the speedo/rev unit was vibrating. I've never seen this before. Other people here have said they haven't had increased vibration but I certainly have.

Low speed shudder is obviously worse. It's as if I have the 15t back on. I love my 14t mod. It's effect on handling is great and I don't want to lose that.

So those two objections are enough for me. Of course your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have you done a sprocket swap? My bike had a real bad studder at low speeds till I swapped my front and rear sprockets. And the flywheel came after the sprockets, no problems whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
its more like your flywheel wasn't balanced correctly. Its like if you sharpen only one end of a lawnmower blade. I would call Nichols first and demand a new flywheel. If anything the only difference should be that your engine feels like it lost some serious Sally Struthers weight, and moves with ease by using the throttle lightly. in my case a on an Rs, the 14t sprocket is almost to much jerk, and a lighter flywheel should help with that, in the very low RPM's cause its easier for the engine to control that rotating mass.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Duke Dave said:
its more like your flywheel wasn't balanced correctly. Its like if you sharpen only one end of a lawnmower blade. I would call Nichols first and demand a new flywheel. If anything the only difference should be that your engine feels like it lost some serious Sally Struthers weight, and moves with ease by using the throttle lightly. in my case a on an Rs, the 14t sprocket is almost to much jerk, and a lighter flywheel should help with that, in the very low RPM's cause its easier for the engine to control that rotating mass.
Likewise, I'd think the lowspeed shudder would decrease with the lighter flywheel. I could see vibration increasing, but the type of vibration you're describing sounds more like some other problem. I'd get it checked out before giving up on the flywheel altogether. I did a lighter flywheel on my subaru, and it really does make a big difference.

Justin

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Likewise, I'd think the lowspeed shudder would decrease with the lighter flywheel. I could see vibration increasing, but the type of vibration you're describing sounds more like some other problem. I'd get it checked out before giving up on the flywheel altogether. I did a lighter flywheel on my subaru, and it really does make a big difference.

Justin
+1 .. when i put in the nichols things felt smoother to me ... less vibration from the engine. the engine is more testy at low speeds though, but i get over that by keeping my revs up just a little more. the heavy flywheel could be masking some sort of other problem.

also, when i put the flywheel in i was expecting some night and day difference, as other have described ... but i didn't get that. i think i can attribute that to my change in gearing 1 year in advance of the flywheel. i was already used to the added acceleration. however i do think the bike runs smoother, revs a bit quicker, and i can really feel the difference in twisties and downshifts.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Before canning the flywheel go over your tune up, particularly throttle synch. With a light flywheel cylinder imbalance is more noticeable..

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
howie said:
Before canning the flywheel go over your tune up, particularly throttle synch. With a light flywheel cylinder imbalance is more noticeable..
+1

I have yet to see a bad flywheel come from Nichols. I have em in all my Ducs

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
howie said:
ducman851 said:
+1

I have yet to see a bad flywheel come from Nichols. I have em in all my Ducs
[thumbsup]

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Duke Dave said:
has anyone done a weight test on a nichols vs stock on an S4Rs?
Yes, I have the info at home, but IIRC the nIchols is about 9.75 oz and the S4 weighs in at 4 pounds? I can check when I get home.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
RBX said:
when you say little more, what do you mean? i have been wanting to do this mod, but i commute to work and many days max speed is 15mph-30mph.

thanks
RB
by low speeds i mean parking lot speeds, and leaving the stoplight. the lighter flywheel will make the throttle a little touchy, and its easier to stall until you get used to it. i tend to rev the engine a little more in those situations ... which is fine because i like scaring women and children anyway.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's my experience. At parking lot speeds I need to keep the revs up and be more cautious with the clutch or it will shudder, very similar to how it was when I had the stock 15t.

btw I haven't noticed any change in engine braking as some people have reported.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
yeah, it's crabby below 3k rpm now. but i'd never go back.

ducman851 said:
Yes, I have the info at home, but IIRC the nIchols is about 9.75 oz and the S4 weighs in at 4 pounds? I can check when I get home.
that's correct.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
nope. well, not after i went to a 14T front.. and even then it was never bliss at parking lot speeds. it's just more touchy now with the flywheel. but it doesn't bother me. especially considering the payoff when i grab a handful of throttle.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
sounds like you should maybe go to a 14t front and then add 2 in the rear for sprockets when you get the lighter flywheel.

ducman851 said:
S4, or S4Rs?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
kopfjager said:
what payoff?
all the normal reasons people do this mod... spins up very quickly, instant throttle response, whole bike feels more zippy, poor man's slipper clutch because it spins down so quickly too, etc...

Duke Dave said:
sounds like you should maybe go to a 14t front and then add 2 in the rear for sprockets when you get the lighter flywheel.

S4, or S4Rs?
S4R is/was 4 lbs. dunno about the others.

i haven't changed my rear sprocket; did got to 14 in the front. so i'm at 14/42 now. with a full exhaust, chopped airbox, k&n air filter and motocard/PC3 it can be twitchy <3K rpm, but really.. who cares? if you're overly concerned with how the monster will behave at 10mph, don't start performance modding it.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
my wife just got a nichols in her 97 m750.
her observation was that the motor feels much smoother, with less drastic on/off effect with the throttle, and easier to ride at slower speeds without lugging.
hmmmm.
almost the opposite of what you said.
i wonder what the difference is??

(hers has 14/39 gearing and stock engine except for coils/wires/plugs)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.