Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My monster ('97 M750) came with a Bitubo steering damper mounted transversely, I don't believe that damper is designed for ducati's. The bar-end knob slides out and touches the fork if the handles are rotated right to an extreme angle. I like the transverse position and was wondering that if I purchased an ohlins or matris damper, would I experience the same troubles? or are theirs shorter? any other transverse damper recommendations? thanks...

btw, if anyone wants to buy this bitubo from me...send me a pm....hehe

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Can you post a picture of how it's mounted and where it contacts the fork?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speeddog said:
Can you post a picture of how it's mounted and where it contacts the fork?
the bike isn't with me at the moment, so i'll probably have the photo posted later this week....thx

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the damper is 9.5" across from ball-joint to knob adjuster (see pic above), so i guess i'd need a shorter damper. would anyone know (or can measure) if ohlins or matris are shorter? thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
If you are having clearance problems with that mount, you may be able to off-set it just enough with a widgit. No FHE with that type of damper, but I found this to work.... ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just spoke with ohlins (828.692.4525) and they informed me that for my bike, the SD134 is recommended, but it mounts up on top.

My universal options are:

SD115 - 221.5mm, 8.7"
SD121 - 236.5mm, 9.3"

the SD121 will give me more "stroke"...wat does this mean? and how is the additional length more beneficial? thanks.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
wetworx said:
I like the transverse position and was wondering that if I purchased an ohlins or matris damper, would I experience the same troubles? or are theirs shorter? any other transverse damper recommendations? thanks...
A Matris damper will work fine. I installed one on my wife's old M620 and it didn't have any clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I always use transverse, under triple dampers on my bikes. You can make most any of them work, but you will probably have to make or modify some brackets. Just remember to keep the adjuster knob on the left side so you can adjust it on the fly.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Norm said:
I always use transverse, under triple dampers on my bikes. You can make most any of them work, but you will probably have to make or modify some brackets. Just remember to keep the adjuster knob on the left side so you can adjust it on the fly.
Norm, you state the left side. What benefit do you have on the left that you do not on the right?. just curious, because I have mine on the left and was deciding on installing it on the right because of my paralysis on the left side of my body. Right now I have to really reach over with my right hand and it's impossible to adjust while riding.
MM

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
MichMonsterS4 said:
Norm, you state the left side. What benifit do you have on the left that you do not on the right?. just curious, because I have mine on the left and was deciding on installing it on the right because of my paralysis on the left side of my body. Right now I have to really reach over with my right hand and it's impossible to adjust while riding.
MM
For 99% of bikes, right hand holds throttle (at 140Mph if your doing a randall) and left adjusts damper.... - Chris

ps, sorry for jumping in Norm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts