Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding my 1994 M900, I noticed that the bike was not accelerating after about 10 miles of riding. It felt like I was dragging a cinder block. Eventually, the bike would not accelerate hard and even with down shifting, it would slow down. Finally, the rear wheel locked and I couldn't find neutral until hours later when the whole thing cooled off.

The Ducati dealer said it was the tranny fluid and changed it. The very next day, it did it again.

Does anybody have a clue as to what's going on with this bike ????

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Unless you got one of those special automatic trasmission Ducatis, your "tranny fluid" is just your motor oil.

Could it be your rear brake dragging and as the friction makes it hotter, it starts to lock up? Bad bearing in the rear wheel?

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the responses, but if the problem is with the rear brake/wheel, why can't I get the bike into neutral until it cools off ??

G

·
Firstly, your dealer is an absolute moron. Leave that place and don't return. Secondly, as a guess, if your rear brake were overheating and causing the fluid to boil (from the pads being too worn probably) then the fluid will expand and lock the rear brake on. With the rear wheel locked you won't be able to effectively roll the bike back and forth to allow the tranny shafts to unload and let the shift forks move to select neutral, or any other gear besides the one you're locked in. Once adequately cooled down, your rear wheel (and hence your chain & transmission output shaft) will roll and your bike magically shifts again. Check the thickness of your rear brake pads, and check to see if they're retracting sufficiently. Even if they're within spec, if they're not pulling away from the rotor they could be contacting the rotor and transferring heat through the pads into the caliper and the fluid. Get the picture? Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The man with the EXCELLENT collection of bikes put his finger on my first guess. I've had it happen on a dirt bike and it was exactly as you described. If it just started out of nowhere, you could've just gotten some crap in your caliper and it's not retracting correctly.

As I said in my first post, my second guess would be a bad wheel bearing. The frozen bearing will spin on the axle at first, but soon the heat generated will lock it up.

BTW, if you have a receipt from the dealership that says that they changed your "transmission fluid", then you probably have grounds for a lawsuit or at least a BBB complaint.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense to me. Thanks for the help guys. FYI, my dealer is. Gold Coast Motorsports, New Hyde Park NY.

G

·
That makes sense to me. Thanks for the help guys. FYI, my dealer is. Gold Coast Motorsports, New Hyde Park NY.

aghhhhh....I was going to take my bike to them for a valve check soon....thanks for the heads up....guess I'll schlepp out to Supermoto or Bayshore

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yer bikes fubar, sell it to me for $1 ;D, what maico said...yer dealer is a freakin dumbass. As far as a BBB complaint goes don't waste yer time, nothing happens, go in and make the dealer settle up with ya in person...if they try to weasle out punch em in the freakin face, only a misdemeanor charge. ;D

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
not a one has ever seen a tranny problem . they are absoltely bullet proof
I'll second that, I had my motor apart at 40k and was thinking (based on previously owned bikes) that I would at least haver a bent shift fork or something, but there was barely any wear on the tranny parts. And I'm not nice to the tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
As far as a BBB complaint goes don't waste yer time, nothing happens, go in and make the dealer settle up with ya in person...
Most of the time, I'd agree with the BBB thing, but it can occaisionally help you and can help other people.

Firstly it can help people who actually look to the BBB for guidance. But also, I've been a member at several credit unions that won't generally give loans to purchase a vehicle from a dealer with a bad BBB rap sheet.

Navy Federal was that way when I lived in Hawaii, and I got a Jeep dealer to work with me because he was afraid of loosing the Navy business in the area.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i know many many many duc techs and not a one has ever seen a tranny problem . they are absoltely bullet proof
My `92 900ss had that big ass bolt on the back of the engine back out. This caused the transmission to get stuck in second.

More than a few Ducatis have had the internal linkage that goes from the shift shaft to the shift drum get off set and then sometimes on an upshift, it will stay stuck "up".

When I took the engine apart on my `92 900ss with roughly 35,000 miles, I found that half the gears in the gearbox had the surface fall apart. If the gear teeth were like ramps, the part half way up the ramp were chipped and missing. Also, one shift fork was chipped, another was a little bent, and all three had mild wear on the posts which engage the shift drum.

Even though I've seen these problems on my own personal Ducatis, I would tend to agree that they have good transmissions. Essentially, all share the same transmission as Superbikes. That's pretty good!

:) Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts