Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post to this board, I hope one of you can give me some ideas on what's up with my 2000 m900...

I get a slight popping sound from somewhere underneath me when I'm just starting from a stop while slipping out the clutch. The more gas I'm giving it (i.e. faster start) the louder the sound gets and CAN be accompanied with a very slight lurch...all gear shifts are fine, and once the clutch is completely out and I'm under way there's nothing...no chain noise, the grinding, just the exhaust sound. It almost seems as if there's some tooth on a gear missing just once or a clutch plate is hitting something. So, I took of the clutch cover and that changed nothing about the sound in question. Any issues or fixes in mind? Anything I should look at? All replies would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan :-/

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Just a long shot, but if the bike is new to you and there's a chance someone before you has been into the clutch - pull the cover off again and find the spring position on the pressure plate with the little slot markings on either side of the spring pocket. Pull that spring out and make sure the boss that the retaining bolt screws into has matching marks. If not, pull all the springs and rotate the pressure plate to line up those index marks and reassemble. Don't over tighten the spring retainer screws. No loctite needed.

If the pressure plate is out of position, it can cause funny clutch behavior - although it usually seems to be more along the lines of slipping or binding. Maybe worth checking, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas...I'm the original owner and unless Motoprimo pulled the clutch to service my twice-leaky-under-warranty slave cylinder last month the clutch has been where it's been for all 12,000 miles. I thought about the chain, but it just seemed that my experiences with bad chains on other bikes is that they tend to be noisy all the time...but those bikes were all single sided swing armed so I was more easily able to stay on top of chain tension and lubing...something about double swingarms makes me uneasy...somthing about keeping them exactly straight--although I have no problems on my single speed bicycles!

The monster digesters also suggested chain so I'll do that and go from there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts