Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm picking up my Monster 821 on Saturday, and saying farewell to my Harley Sportster Iron 883. I just have a few questions, and hope to get some advice! :)

1. I'm 5'5 and not exactly sure of my inseam (39-30" maybe?). I went ahead and had the 40mm low rider seat installed, and was wondering if anyone out there thinks that lowering the seat height to 29.3" would allow me to flat foot. I was able to easily flat foot on my Harley, and am hoping to do the same on my Monster

2. Riding position! I have only ever sat on a Ducati Monster (it was a 696 and I was almost flat footing, fyi), and was wondering if any of you have helpful advice on adjusting to a more forward leaning riding position. It is awkward on the legs at first? Any tips to prevent a dump?

3. Shifting! I hear that shifting a Ducati is quite a bit smoother than the clunky Harley. Is this true? Also, putting the Harley in neutral was always a pain in the butt...is that better on the Monster as well?

Thanks in advance for any information! Yay Ducati!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm also 5'5" (in Denver as well with a 696 and 796), and I think you will be totally fine with just the lower seat installed. I rode the Monster 1200s demo at Erico with the normal/high seat and had no problem touching flat foot on one side with toes on the other. The bikes are so well balanced that as long as you pay attention to where you stop and make adjustments side to side as needed if you need more than the balls of your feet down you'll be just fine.

I'd get comfortable with the natural position of the bike at first, and try to use your knees and core to keep your body stable instead of putting too much weight on your wrists. Your hands will go numb if you hold the bars tight for very long as well, so it's better overall to use your core.

I imagine that shifting will be dramatically smoother than the hog, but until the bike is broken in neutral may be somewhat difficult to find. It seems like Ducatis take around 1,000 miles of riding to easily find neutral (at least in my experience). Personally I think it's much easier to find neutral when shifting down from 2nd towards 1st with just slight pressure on the lever as I'm rolling to a stop instead of trying to find it going up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I'm picking up my Monster 821 on Saturday, and saying farewell to my Harley Sportster Iron 883. I just have a few questions, and hope to get some advice! :)\
I have both a Sportster 1200 and an 821. You will notice the following immediately:

- Light weight and balance. The monster has low center of gravity.
- Handling! OMG - you will immediately find yourself taking corners 10-20 mph faster
- Brakes - I'd leave the bike in touring mode for the first few hundred miles as that will leave the ABS in a lower setting so you won't do any inadvertent stoppies :D
- Power - 70 more HP with over 100 lbs less weight. Sign up for your defensive driving class now as I see a speeding ticket in your near future.

\
1. I'm 5'5 and not exactly sure of my inseam (39-30" maybe?). I went ahead and had the 40mm low rider seat installed, and was wondering if anyone out there thinks that lowering the seat height to 29.3" would allow me to flat foot. I was able to easily flat foot on my Harley, and am hoping to do the same on my Monster
\
I'm a little taller than you but have a 31" inseam. I have the regular seat in the low position and have no problem flat footing the Monster. Not the same as the Sportster, but still comfortable. A big part of the difference is losing over 100 pounds in weight which makes the bike very easy to handle.

2. Riding position! I have only ever sat on a Ducati Monster (it was a 696 and I was almost flat footing, fyi), and was wondering if any of you have helpful advice on adjusting to a more forward leaning riding position. It is awkward on the legs at first? Any tips to prevent a dump?
You will find the riding position for your legs is actually very comfortable. I would assert the rear set Monster pegs are less 'dump prone' than the forward controls on my Sportster. I have had multiple bikes with this foot positioning and have never found it to be an issue. The lean to the bars may be a different issue. If you do a lot of highway riding the wind will provide relief for your wrists. If you primarily ride around town you may want to consider different bars at some point. I have just over 1,000 miles on my 821 and haven't decided if I want to change the bars or not.

3. Shifting! I hear that shifting a Ducati is quite a bit smoother than the clunky Harley. Is this true? Also, putting the Harley in neutral was always a pain in the butt...is that better on the Monster as well?
Neutral is less of a pain to find. Shifting is like a hot knife through butter - very smooth.

Enjoy the bike! It's a completely different experience than a Harley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information guys! I picked up my Monster this past Saturday and absolutely LOVE it! Neutral is sooo easy to find, haha. I also had the dealership put the 40mm low seat on so I can flat foot the bike in my boots. I can't believe how much of a difference there is between the two bikes!! I am definitely a happy camper!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very cool to hear! Btw who was your sales guy at Erico? I know a couple of them, and I was just down there Saturday putting a deposit down on a new Scrambler :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think being able to flat foot a bike is overrated. The only Ducati I cannot flat foot is the Multistrada but it is so comfortable once underway that there is no way I'd ever consider going with a lower seat as that would decrease the legroom.

You get used to it.

BTW-You'll be stunned with the amount of power the Monster 821 has compared to the Harley, like going from a tractor to a Ferrari. Congrats!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts