Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! The 1098 article in Motorcyclist daily talked about a currently-disabled function on the 1098 called "DTC" and stated that it's traction control.

Holy be-jeesus. This is what I have been waiting for!! Well... that and the money to be able to campaign a 1098, but one thing at a time. Traction control on a bike will give me the confidence to race a "big" bike. Even before I high-sided my ~100hp 749, I felt I should wait until traction control becomes available before moving up to a 150hp+ bike.

I'll ride my 749r for a couple seasons and then see where we're at.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I've heard people say that traction control is built in to every right wrist. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've demonstrated that mine is broken.

ducpainter said:
I've heard people say that traction control is built in to every right wrist. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... I figure I need traction control if I'm going to ride a bike with that much power.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
just imagine if it were a 600cc 2-stroke.... :-X [cheeky]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
gm2 said:
just imagine if it were a 600cc 2-stroke.... :-X [cheeky]
A maching like that would be downright viscious on the street. Isn't the whole reason MotGP went to 990cc 4-strokes was to smooth out the power delivery because a 500cc 2 stroke was just too unforgiving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
superjohn said:
A maching like that would be downright viscious on the street. Isn't the whole reason MotGP went to 990cc 4-strokes was to smooth out the power delivery because a 500cc 2 stroke was just too unforgiving?
No I don't think that was the whole reason behind it, but was definately a notch in the plus side of why to go four stroke.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
superjohn said:
The real reason was more to do with marketability. The major manufacturers can't do **** with 2-stroke technology when it comes to street applications (where they make all their money). With the 4-strokes, they can use what they learn racing and introduce it to the street market. It basically is a way for them to write off their R&D costs and go racing at the same time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
[size=12pt]i hope i am not the only rider who feels traction control would steal the fun right out of riding. i put it on the list with electronic cruise control and a built in 6 disc changer. i am riding a motorcycle. i am not driving my subaru. i don't even use my iPod on my bike because i want to hear everything. not just the engine, but the traffic, the wind, all of it. maybe i am strange...? that- I AM STRANGE. but this is hardly the place to discuss the deep issues that haunt me while i lay awake at night. we are talking about traction control and other, dare i say, unnecessary devices built into our rides. isn't part of the allure of the desmo bike its primitive form? desmo was created how many decades ago? and steel frames and air-cooled engines with throttle bodies? hardly even fuel injection from today's standards. i love my bike for many reasons. but the best reason is it isn't trying to be some kind of 'state of the art' gp bike. it is a street bike. and although the 1098 is looking more like a full blown race bike than a street bike i feel traction control is going a bit far. why would you want all the fun to go away?

[size=18pt]FLAME SUIT ACTIVATED!

BE NICE, IT'S CHRISTMAS!

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
nissontek said:
[size=12pt]i hope i am not the only rider who feels traction control would steal the fun right out of riding.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Dec/061212-17a.htm

Miguel Duhamel:

Switching gears, I'd like discuss traction control in Superbike racing if I could. It's well-known that traction control is now legal here in the US, and I presume all of the teams are now using it.

As for me, I sort of wish that it had never been made legal, honestly. I wish the AMA had banned it. Because I guess you can call me a traditionalist as a racer—for me, the ultimate traction control should be in the rider's wrist. I think, since the dawn of bike racing, that control and that skill has determined the outcome of more races than anyone will ever really know.

Now that I have used traction control—legally, I might add—I think the way that this technology is going to influence motorcycle racing is to dumb it down to a degree. A lot more guys are going to be able to go faster with traction control on their bike than they ever would without it.

And it's going to really mean that you need to have the mapping in the control unit right in the race because, if you don't, you're going to be left for dead. It used to be that a rider could change his riding style if he ran into trouble on a conventional Superbike without traction control. I really suspect that those days will soon be in the past because, I think, if you have the wrong mapping, you're going to be able to ride to the limit of the mapping and if it's wrong, you are a rolling pylon. So those are my thoughts. But what do I know? I don't even have a Myspace page.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
no doubt miguel is fast. that guy deserves the utmost respect. i'm definitely a fan.

i'm just sayin that if you're going to argue against technological improvements here you might as well change your name to Sisyphus.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Electronics + track bike != electronics + street bike.
these electronic aids are appearing in streetbikes to homologate them for racing. they are very much the same thing.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Like everything in this world - racing/technology (life) moves on...

As I see it, racing is a team effort - rider/wrenches/managers. If a "team" can't "make it happen", they lose.

Bring on Traction Control!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
but right now the rider makes the difference. with traction control anybody can rail a bike through a turn and just hold that throttle without consequence. we all know the outcome of poor throttle control in a turn. isn't that what makes it so much fun? less skill required = piss-poor racing. just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
nissontek said:
but right now the rider makes the difference. with traction control anybody can rail a bike through a turn and just hold that throttle without consequence. we all know the outcome of poor throttle control in a turn. isn't that what makes it so much fun? less skill required = piss-poor racing. just my opinion.
I'm with you.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts