Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: Split from Budgeting For Trackdays thread

Don't budget using Dan's guideline of 8 trackdays on a set of tires. You're on a low-horsepower bike so you won't chew through tires that fast, but don't expect to get 8 days out of 'em. Better to budget for more frequent tire changes. Otherwise, you'll be tempted to say "Tires are expensive. I'll just go one more day on these." Then you bite it. Ask datv.

Heat will play a role too. You go through tires faster when it's a billion degrees out. I put about 3-5 days on mine (depends whether it is track or race, but closer to 5 than 3). On my r6, they were good for 2-3 days at most. Actually, with your bike, you can probably run my take-offs pretty cheaply. You'd have to go to a 150 rear as opposed to a 160.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Re: Budgeting for Trackdays

When I realized how fast a track eats up tires, I was like this :eek: :eek: :eek: for several days .

Spidey said:
Don't budget using Dan's guideline of 8 trackdays on a set of tires. You're on a low-horsepower bike so you won't chew through tires that fast, but don't expect to get 8 days out of 'em. Better to budget for more frequent tire changes. Otherwise, you'll be tempted to say "Tires are expensive. I'll just go one more day on these." Then you bite it. Ask datv.

Heat will play a role too. You go through tires faster when it's a billion degrees out. I put about 3-5 days on mine (depends whether it is track or race, but closer to 5 than 3). On my r6, they were good for 2-3 days at most. Actually, with your bike, you can probably run my take-offs pretty cheaply. You'd have to go to a 150 rear as opposed to a 160.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts

Spidey, I've been on the same tires for 4 trackdays and they just got the little new-tire-nubbies worn off. I can probably ride the same pair for the next two years at my pace. :-\

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Another thing to know is that there is a Walmart right on the exit by T-Hill and about 5 mins from the track. I've picked up stuff there on the way in/out of the track. Ice-chest. Cheap rugs for under the canopy. Trackchairs. Flats of water and gatorade.

Stop being a cheapskate with that canvas tarp and PVC pipe BS. You can buy a tent for $30.

It's not about tire wear. You'll heat cycle and lose grip on the tires well before they get worn down. And if your tires are 2 years old, chuck 'em. That's fine for the street. Not OK for the track.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

+1 on Spidey's heat cycle comments. I've got a roomful of 16.5" racing slicks that are junk. I might try to sell them as take-offs... but after they've been used a few times and then sat around for a while, it's not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts

Spidey said:
Another thing to know is that there is a Walmart right on the exit by T-Hill and about 5 mins from the track. I've picked up stuff there on the way in/out of the track. Ice-chest. Cheap rugs for under the canopy. Trackchairs. Flats of water and gatorade.

Stop being a cheapskate with that canvas tarp and PVC pipe BS. You can buy a tent for $30.

It's not about tire wear. You'll heat cycle and lose grip on the tires well before they get worn down. And if your tires are 2 years old, chuck 'em. That's fine for the street. Not OK for the track.
The tires are three years old. :-[

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

3 years old??!?!?! I thought you had *new* tires on the bike.

Absolutely don't do another track day with 3 year old tires. Seriously. Really ****ing bad idea. Buy some take-offs or something. If you're that cheap, I might help by mounting and balancing. Seriously.

Geezer had a pretty miserable crash on the DNA tour in early '04 that we chalked up to a one-year old tire.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Holy crap. Ditch those tires now, 'belle. I've got some take-offs for ya for free that are still in good shape for trackdays until you can buy some new ones. We'll need to check the width of your rear wheel, but I think a 150 will work.

Buy tires from the AFM races. You won't find them anywhere cheaper. Or tell us what you want and we can pick 'em up for you at the races.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts

The p.o. told me that the tires were fine. I had no idea... :-\ Maybe they're not marbling up because they're so hard and old. [cheeky] Eeek.

I'm not doing another trackday until mid March at the earliest, so I've got time to buy new rubber. I think I might have a BARF contact for tires, but let me see if he remembers me...

So what kind of tires do you all recommend?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

There are tons of good tires out there.

I only have personal experience with slicks, and I've been happy with the 16.5" michelin slicks and the 17" dunlop slicks. That said, I'm most likely going to switch to Dunlop 16.5" slicks come spring.

For your bike... I've heard lots of people say great things about the Dunlop 209's. Other than that, I can't tell you anything particularly useful about which type.

As for sizes -- run the smallest rear you can with your rim. Depending on the rim width, there will be ~2-3 sizes you could run. If you measure the rim, you can call Sport Tire Services (dunlop guy) and he'll tell you what size to run.

Tigs

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts

I think I've got Dunlop's on there right now...it's too cold to walk out there to check. But I'll look into it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

I wouldn't sweat what's on there already... It's not too much of a "dunlops are good on this bike, pirelli's on that bike, etc." Good tires are *pretty much* good tires... at least at our level.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Mostrobelle said:
So what kind of tires do you all recommend?
I like Dunlops a lot, and the 209s in particular. They give good feedback. I've tried Pirellis. with my limited experience, they felt like they gave less feedback, but were easier to recover to when they lost traction. I haven't tried Michelins on the track. The cheapest you'll find Dunlops is at Sport Tire Services (unless your BARF hook-up is *really* good).

Honestly, it doesn't matter which brand you choose, 'belle. Just get a tire type (and size) and get your suspension set up for that tire and stick with it. All that stuff about tire 'feel' doesn't matter right now. They will all be unbelieveably sticky.

You could actually run slicks on your bike except that (a) it probably won't make that much of a difference at your pace right now and (b) you are willing to take your bike out on the track in the rain, which is a no-no if you're running slicks. Something to think about down the line.

Steve, you better be on Dunlops next year. Or, rather, anything but Michelin. ;)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Spidey said:
You could actually run slicks on your bike except that (a) it probably won't make that much of a difference at your pace right now and (b) you are willing to take your bike out on the track in the rain, which is a no-no if you're running slicks. Something to think about down the line.
c) you can sell the take off's on BARF or craigslist or here and get some of your money back.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

I would be astonished if anyone can beat Terry Newby's (Sport Tire Services) prices. He's the western USA distributor, so everyone who sells them out here gets them through him (i.e. there's another round of markup). Lance Keigwin can't match his prices.

Spidey said:
The cheapest you'll find Dunlops is at Sport Tire Services (unless your BARF hook-up is *really* good).

·
Registered
769 Posts

Just called Sport Tire Services (I'm also in search of tires) and they recommend I go with Dunlop 208. A set is $279 + $19 for shipping + county sales tax. They said for me the 208 is plenty of tire for now. They ship to your home or shop and usually arrives the next business day. I was going to stay with the Pirelli dragon super corsa but if any good tire will do, then I'm going with a cheaper set.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Next time, remind us to pick some up at the AFM races. Same price, but no shipping. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Check out http://www.americanmototire.com/

I don't see 208's, but Pilot Powers are about $240 and Dunlop Qualifiers are about $210 depending on size. They also stock race tires. How do they compare to Sport Tire Services?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

Gotta call terry for pricing.

sporttire.com
800-776-8473

He's got 208gpa's for 279/set -- that's his only advertised price.
208gpa's are sportier than 208's. My monster currently has a 208gpa front and a 208 rear. Big difference in tread depth, etc.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

GPAs are more expensive at your site, Enzo than at STT.

I wouldn't run Qualifiers at the track for a track bike even though you can get them cheaper. If you're taking your street bike to the track and want tires that are good for both track and street, Qualifiers are great! But for track-specific tires, there is a vast difference between Qualifiers and DOT race tires that even slower riders can and will feel. Ask Michael about the first time he put 208s on his monster for track use.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts