Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, looking to track my 937, home track would most likely be VIR as I live in Raleigh, NC area.
Ive been riding for many years including owning several race bikes (gsxr, R1, R6, CBR...) but its been awhile since I have had any bike, track time.
I guess I could just go to an available open track session but prefer to get some tips either before or during my planned track days. A search has yet to yield any formal instruction opportunities on the East Coast.
suggestions welcome and thanks

· Registered
24 Posts
Check out EvolveGT. They do VIR, NCCAR, Summit Point etc. Their GT1 involves almost a full day of instruction along with supervised track time. They are super helpful.
Yamaha Champions Riding School will be in your area this year as well. They have a Champ Street class that is a one day school, which is a blast, and a two day school if your more serious.
I’ve done both and wish I would have taken the Yamaha school years ago, great learning experience.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have done 30+ days with the California Superbike school. If you sign up for the 2 days camp you have to use their bikes, but if you get individual non camp days you can take your bike. Keith Code and his team literally wrote the book on how to ride on the track. I discovered track later in life, after 30 years of thinking i was a good street and touring rider. I learnt that i had been riding for 30 years badly ;-) So even if you have experience, go in with an open mind and you will learn a ton!

· Registered
25 Posts
Regards to your ride. I took my stock 796 to the track with a lot less experience than what it sound like you have and scrapped, bent and scraped some more all the foot controls. The lean angle on these bikes is not good. Just don't want your muscle memory to kick in as if you were riding your old GSXr and you leave half of your bike in a corner. Also, the kick stand is directly mounted to the bottom of the motor. Hit it with enough force and you could have problems fast.
Regards to your skills. You probably have a sturdy base with all the riding you seem to have done. Does the track in which you intend to ride offer a class of any kind? The place I ride the most has a beginners class which I took for a very reasonable fee. The big name schools are nice but they generally charge a whole lot more for their classes. Unless you plan on turning pro, you may not need super high end classes right out of the gate. Good luck. The track is where it's at. Have fun.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solid advice. As you suggested, I am scheduled to start with a one day, 1/2 track and 1/2 classroom , instruction. It’s been awhile and never had my 937 tracked. Will take advanced instruction from there. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts