Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Track Gear question

I hope you're gonna wear a helmet...

I don't know about the track you're going to, but most require more than the 8" zipper.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

There are a surprisingly large number of different zipper types to hold pants and jacket together. And it seems that half of them start on the left and half of them on the right, so that doubles the number of combinations. If you buy pants and jacket separate, expect to pay someone to fix the zipper for you.

Based on my experience looking for boots in November, you're not going to find any decent motorcycle boots for less than about $160. I think I paid about $180 for the Gaerne boots that I finally settled on. You can always settle for some work boots from Sears for about $80.

However, I've learned a hard lesson about going cheap on protective gear, so I bought a complete new outfit for around $1400. Waiting more than a month for the first set of scabs to come off of the small amount of road rash that I had gave me lots of time to think about proper protection.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

If it's an open track day, find out Barber's gear requirements. If it's run by an organization like Fasttrack or STT, find out their gear requirements.

Most tracks/organizations require leather or maybe Aerostitch or similar quality textile suits. 2-piece suits usually have to have full circumference zippers.

Some tracks may require spine protectors.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I checked the requirements. It says two peices are fine, but doesn't specify on the zipper. There will also be dresser bikes (I assume this means Harley) that are only required to have textile pants. So, maybe it won't be to big of a deal.

I have looked at the Teknic Prowler pants. Do any of you have experience with these?

thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Track Gear question: UPDATE cheap teknic viola

I invested in some Teknic Violator boots. These things seem really nice. Well, they beat the flip-flips I normally wear ;D. Anyway, they were super cheap. $120.00 brand new. The list for $250. I figured it was a great deal.

http://motorcyclesuperstore.com/item.aspx?style=90&department=115&Division=1#

Here is the story:
The dealer I normally shop at bought out 2 other shops last year. The are just nowing getting through all the inventory. It turns out they have a ton of Teknic stuff. A couple of months ago I got a Teknic Predator perf leather jacket for $120 and they threw in all the armor that you normally have to buy.

chris

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Keep after those guys like you will be their customer for life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts