Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Planning to go to my first track day this summer and I was wondering if anyone on the board had plans yet. Thought it might be a good opportunity for me to meet a few folks and get some tips. Anyone interested in getting a small group together?

-Emmett
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
Hi Emmett, good idea. Last year I did my first track days: a Fishtail day, and a Dunbar/Seacoast day. Both were fun in different ways, you can't go wrong. I'd like to do a few more this year, but they aren't cheap.

Ahoy mods! Maybe we should unstick the old "Track day info" thread and start a new one for 2008.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
caboteria said:
Hi Emmett, good idea. Last year I did my first track days: a Fishtail day, and a Dunbar/Seacoast day. Both were fun in different ways, you can't go wrong. I'd like to do a few more this year, but they aren't cheap.

Ahoy mods! Maybe we should unstick the old "Track day info" thread and start a new one for 2008.
If'n CRASH doesn't get to it in a day or so I'll take care of it Tobey.

Work OK?

I'll be at all the Fishtail days FWIW.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
This is wierd... I was just looking this morning and wondering... "Hey..a new track day 08 thread should be started"

Great minds thingk alike [thumbsup]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the PMS. Makes you think about all the fun you should be having :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately you can't cure Parked Motorcycle Syndrome with mint chip ice cream quite like you can regular PMS...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Jeebus. Nate gave me a day (not two) before changing push-pins ::)

Thanks Nate.

On topic, I've done Team Daemon track days the past two years but I'm ready for another dose of Bruce (and of course Nate), so I think I need to sign up for a Fishtail day this year. Haven't looked at the calendar yet. Too busy planning ski days ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
CRASH! said:
Jeebus. Nate gave me a day (not two) before changing push-pins ::)

Thanks Nate.

On topic, I've done Team Daemon track days the past two years but I'm ready for another dose of Bruce (and of course Nate), so I think I need to sign up for a Fishtail day this year. Haven't looked at the calendar yet. Too busy planning ski days ;D
I know you actually work for a living....

I just hang out here.

Hope to see lots of youze guys at the track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Oh yeah, I thought I should say that TD trackdays are great. Well run and I got tons of track time (100 laps last year!). No complaints. Just want to see some different peeps for a change. If I had the time and money, I'd do them all and avoid such choices...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
Looks as if the Fishtail schedule is official now: http://fishtailridingschool.com/datesandsignup.html.

For the impatient:
Tuesday, July 8
Wednesday, July 9
Thursday, August 14
Wednesday, September 3

Note that their "Fishtail Frequent Flyer 3 day package deal" is good for multiple people on the same day so we'll save $50 each if we can hook up into ménages à trois to buy the tix. Track day ménages à trois, not that other kind.

I also hear rumors of a ducati-only track day on June 17 but don't know what the web site is to sign up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
im looking into doing a trackday this year, never did one and i need to find out what needs to be done to prepare the bike for one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
monsta215 said:
im looking into doing a trackday this year, never did one and i need to find out what needs to be done to prepare the bike for one.
Here's an intro: http://www.bcmducati.com/article.cfm?id=166&type=13
Another: http://www.tonystrackdays.com/bikeprep.cfm
Another: http://fishtailridingschool.com/riderbikerequirements.html

They're all subtly different so it's a good idea to check with the group that's running your track day, but the bottom line is the same: your bike needs to be in very good shape. If you're in doubt I'd recommend a quick trip up to BCM some Saturday morning to have them give the bike a once-over. As long as your bike is in good shape then the other stuff (taping/removing lights, etc) is pretty easy to do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
BCM track days: http://bcmducati.com/fun.cfm

For the impatient:
4/17/08 - Basic and Intermediate Track Day
6/5/08 - Basic and Intermediate Track Day
6/17/08 - Ducati Revs New England Track Day
9/24/08 - Advanced Track Day
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
The early season tracks days are the best...cool weather, small turnout, lots of track time. I did the BCM April day last year and i had so much track time by 2:00 I was completely wiped out. They put on a great day as well. I will more than likey be there this year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
166 Posts
Guys - looking to get on the track this year. Need advice re: a training coarse vs just sign up and learn via osmosis. Penguin or something else?

Advice / suggestions?

Thanks.

Vin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
I'd recommend a track day with instruction. In my experience, those run by Fishtail Racing and Team Daemon Racing are both very good. Good instruction, few incidents and lots of track time.

A Penguin school is not necessary for your first track experience and it may even be undesirable. Don't need to be out with a bunch of racer wannabees when you're just getting your feet wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I WAS going to sign on for Penguins until I found that if I just wanted to ride fast and crash that was the place to be.
So......I signed on for all four Fishtail days available.
Yup, I'm going to get hurt, I can feel it....that, or I am going to feel more than just my age...........I'm really an old fart....sometimes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
sikducgrl said:
I WAS going to sign on for Penguins until I found that if I just wanted to ride fast and crash that was the place to be.
So......I signed on for all four Fishtail days available.
Yup, I'm going to get hurt, I can feel it....that, or I am going to feel more than just my age...........I'm really an old fart....sometimes
You...old?

I guess it's all a matter of perspective....

and the fishtail days are a much better choice than Penguin for a track newbie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Painter, do I know you?
No, I'm not old, but with as much as I do, sometimes I feel it.
Hey, I don't care, I want to hone some skills, and I have met some of the people that are going to be there already, and I tell ya, downright nice!
What else would be expected though?
I'm looking forward to 4 great days this summer!
Hope to see you all there as well!
As for the potluck after the July dates, is anyone else planning on staying on the track for that night if you are signed up already?
I MGHT have room for one more bike on my trailer.......
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top