Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I highly recommend it. It was a great learning experience for me. (Informed of my bad habits, taught good habits and had a chance to try to get them right with no cars coming towards me.)

I will say it was a bit intimidating with the track filled with R1s, R6s, GXR1000 etc, but I went at my own pace and just concentrated on getting smoother and having fun.

Having said that, let me give you a run down of how the whole thing was organized and run:

First: The Track - Californai Speedway AMA Track.
Super easy to get to, right off the 10 Freeway (or the 15 for that matter) in Fontana. The facilities are new and in great shape. There are plenty of garages available to store your stuff and hang out in between sessions. I only had to share with a friend who met me there. The track itself is in great shape. And most areas where you might wipe out have a great expanse of nothing to hit. There were cones around the track to not only show the route, but to indicate brake points and the lines they recommend.

Second: The Organization - Fastrackriders
Very organized. You arrive sign in, have your bike inspected, Safety School goes on some orientation laps and the rest of the riders have an orientation in the classroom. There are flag men around the track and instructors/monitors riding with every group to black flag the knuckleheads and give you pointers if you want them. There are 4 Levels - Level 1 is for beginners and those who want to go at a slower pace, passing only occurs on the outside of straights; Level 2 is for faster riders with passing allowed on outside of turns as well; Level 3 is even faster with passing allowed anywhere its safe; Level 4 is like a race with passing anywhere anytime. Each group gets about 20 minutes on the track in rotation.

Third: Instruction - The Safety School
The Safety School is required for all first time track riders. This may be the only negative aspect of the first timers day depending on your skill level and perspective. After the orientation laps you sit in the air conditioned class room and have a lesson that lasts from 30 - 40 minutes. Each lesson covers part of the track operation or riding. For example the first lesson went over all of the flags and what they mean. Next they cover counter-steering, the line to take etc. Each session pretty much takes up the downtime between track sessions. Following the lesson you go out on the track ahead of the rest of the Level 1 riders following one of 3 instructors you have been assigned to. The instructor works with each member of their grooup until they feel that rider is implementing the skills learned in the previous lessons. They then move to the next rider in line. For me, this was good, learn, practice, learn, practice and so on. I think for many of the better riders it was frustrating. They might have benefitted more from being able to watch the faster groups. Also, several people from Level 1 probably would have been moved up to Level 2. That said, you still got the same amount of track time either way.

Hope that gives you a good idea of what it was like if you have never been. Apparently, from their experience, 20 percent of attendees go on to become racers. And the organization is set up to help people make the transition from the street to the track. Seems a little different from some of the other "schools" out there. However, it was also much less expensive as well.

Finally, I look at it this way. It must have reignited my passion for riding. I hadn't really ridden that much this summer, but the day after the track day when I got up, I had to ride. I threw on my leathers and went into the canyons for 2 1/2 hours. And then did the same thing on Monday.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds awesome, I can't WAIT to go. I've put all my bike purchases on hold so I can get the required gear to go on these things!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts