Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have abotu 3K on my current set of tires. I've only done twisty riding in the last 1K or so. Before that it was superslab in Texas.

These should be ok for a track day no?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrr...well I hope I can get on the track because I just blew all my extra cash on leathers and there is none left for TIRES!!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
It will depend on the organization running the event and the tech inspectors. At STT events, I'm still running a rear with over a couple of thou on it and maybe about 70-75 % tread and the tech inspectors are still happy with it. I do carry a spare rear wheel with a new tire to every track day so that when the rear fails tech I can go swap it out real quick and not have to buy a new tire unexpectedly.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I use Dunlop D208 GP-A they are the stickest tyre I have found. I LOVE THEM ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Did a "try the track day" on the stock Dunlops(7600 miles on them) no problems, repalced them with new Michelin Pilot Sports cause TPM wants 80% tread, so I'll see how they work this Sunday. So far on the street, no problems.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Go to nesba.com and look up perelli diablo coursas. They have some really detailed reviews by some nesba control riders that tested them.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, Fleedatz, I know your trackday is coming up today or tomorrow and this will be too late for you but next time, definitely get new tires. Even if it weren't for the potentially life-saving sticky-factor, old tires just don't handle well, especially when they aren't perfetly round anymore, which I suspect to be the case with yours.

Remember, your tires are the only thing between you and the asphalt. One saves money on aftermarket and performance parts, not on tires or leathers.

-R.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
especially when they aren't perfetly round anymore, which I suspect to be the case with yours.
-R.
Hey wait...are you saying that I'm scared to lean...??? HUH HUH...well your right. :-D All jokes aside, I didn't get new tires, and my rear is not round. I didn't realize HOW bad it was till I got out on a "smooth" track. I could feel the bike "tip" as it would go from the flat part, to the round part, it felt like the rear was sliding. At first it scared me, but once I realized what was going on I dealt with it. I would never again go to a track day with tires like I had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts