Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. is there any interest in a track day at the creek ?

Sat 24th is good for me ? [thumbsup]

Mmick,

didn't you say there was one on in Feb at Oran Park ??

Let's make this day happen ;D

N

·
0 Posts
Paul, you sure it wasn't you checking back every 10 minutes ;D

Seems like track days are a hard thing to get started in Sydney... Not the first time you've tried Paul....

Me, I would love to, but some issues to resolve first:

1. Missus won't let me on my monster without insurance (and I kinda agree with her on that point - thinking about potential purchase of a dedicated track toy down the track that I won't be as upset if I happen to drop it)
2. Need to loose some kgs before springing for a 2 or 1 piece for a couple of grand..
3. Need some more spare $$$ for a trailer, the leathers and the actual track days.. Will want to do a (few) SBK skool(z) or similar firstly to hone the skilz. Pretty hard doing that when looking to upgrade the house at the same time...

So Paul, in a nutshell, I won't be there for some time soon, but would love to come and watch....

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pigmy said:
sorry paul im working.......but keep trying!
You need to buy some gloves before they will let you on the track [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Paul, I could be tempted. Are you able to let me know;
- is it part of an instructor led course, or do we just get "time on the track"?
- would we have the track to ourselves?
- is it ok for those of us who aren't "out and out" sports riders?
- how much is it likely to cost?

I'd be keen on having an instructor demonstrating riding technique, and providing us on tips for improving ours.

best regards,

Dave

PS: Welcome back from Vietnam, hope married life is treating you well.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
daveyoung said:
Paul, I could be tempted. Are you able to let me know;
- is it part of an instructor led course, or do we just get "time on the track"?
- would we have the track to ourselves?
- is it ok for those of us who aren't "out and out" sports riders?
- how much is it likely to cost?

I'd be keen on having an instructor demonstrating riding technique, and providing us on tips for improving ours.
Hey Dave,

Regular trackdays are not "instructor led courses", they're just a bunch of track time, typically with all attendees split into 4 speed based groups all getting six 20min track sessions. Non "out and out sports riders" are catered for just fine, you'll just end up in one of the slower groups (at least to start with). If you're going to do one at Eastern Creek, it'll be with http://www.easterncreekridedays.com.au/ - there's a bunch of info on that site about them (including prices, from $169 for a weekday and from $199 on a weekend).

If you want some training, there are a couple of options.

Superbike school http://www.superbikeschool.com.au/ do rider training aimed mainly at going fast round a racetrack - everybody raves about how good level 1 is, but many people say that the higher levels give reduced returns for your time/money. These courses are currently $399

Stayupright http://www.stayupright.com.au/ do rider training aimed much more at road riders - their courses include roadcraft components that superbike school completely ignore (in fact they don't even take you to a racetrack until you get to their advanced course). Stayupright's courses start at $240 (and go up to $370 and $390 for courses on Oran Park Raceway).

Insurance wise (and this is aimed at GoldFish), you normally be covered just fine for the stayupright road based courses, you _might_ be able to get a written note covering you for the stayupright advanced course on the track, and you almost certainly won't get insurance coverage for superbike school, stayupright's cornering and braking course, or any trackday...

bored-at-work big

N

·
0 Posts
bigiain said:
Insurance wise (and this is aimed at GoldFish), you normally be covered just fine for the stayupright road based courses, you _might_ be able to get a written note covering you for the stayupright advanced course on the track, and you almost certainly won't get insurance coverage for superbike school, stayupright's cornering and braking course, or any trackday...

bored-at-work big
Thanks big, I was pretty certain that you could not get any coverage that included you and your bike on a track, but I might have to look into it.

The other option for me is to hire one of their bikes, but the excess is still pretty frightening if you drop it, which kinda defeats the purpose for me - I don't want to spend a heap of money on track time and/or tuition only to be overly cautious due to being a tight arse... I kinda believe in the "you need to cross the line (at least once) to know where the line really is" theory.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick,

Just because you go to a track to ride does not mean you should ride "outside" your own capabilities.

I find riding the track is far more safer than say riding the National park [thumbsup] At the track you have no on coming traffic to worry about, you have 3 time the amount of road to ride on, and the condition of the track is alway clean [thumbsup].

Now all I have to do is convince Mmick and Ducmon to come [laugh] [laugh]

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yes I'm interested, I dont have any info with me at the moment about Oran Park but if Eastern Creek is the go I will certainly try to get to one.
Everyones comments have been spot on Nick, its lots of fun, nobody gets lost or left behind, you get a break every twenty minutes, which is really good 'cos you get to talk **** about your bike and your last session, and if you are not sure about something when you are riding you can ask one of the instructors at the track to give you a heads up to try and sort the problem out.
I think Oran Park was about $130 - $150 ish

Mmick

N

·
0 Posts
Paul.C said:
Nick,

Just because you go to a track to ride does not mean you should ride "outside" your own capabilities.

I find riding the track is far more safer than say riding the National park [thumbsup] At the track you have no on coming traffic to worry about, you have 3 time the amount of road to ride on, and the condition of the track is alway clean [thumbsup].

Now all I have to do is convince Mmick and Ducmon to come [laugh] [laugh]
Thanks Paul, your comments are always welcomed! I know what you mean, I would not ride outside my own capabilities, but the temptation might be there with the likes of you around ;D But I would like to do a school before a track day.....

I also hear what you are saying about the track vs the road. I didn't mean to suggest that it was a safety issue, but rather a financial one. I have a financial safety net if I screw up on the road, not so on the track, and that's the issue I am faced with...

Also, as Melvin can tell you from first hand experience, you don't have to be the instigator of the screw up, but you can end up being the one emptying his wallet.. At least there is a cap on the $$$ risk when it is covered by insurance.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Controlled risk and Thrills are the animals we hunt for.

Mmick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts