Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do my second track day at the end of the month. I was wondering how many track days I could expect to get out of a set of stock Pirelli Dragon tires?

Since we don't have twisty roads here in New Orleans the only hard cornering I do is on the track. So 90% of my miles are in-town commuting.

Any issues I should take into account using the stock tires on the track?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I can't speak to Pirellis specifically, but I've got a couple of track days on my Avon AV 45/46 ST tires. I'm seriously looking at another track day in a week and a half.

The first track day was at Jennings where I was shredding the tires from edge to edge because its all turns. Second time out was Moroso which is a lot of long straights connected by shorter and sharper chicanes where I wasn't carrying much speed in the corners and not heating up the tires too much. They didn't even look like they had been on the track that day.

I think I could get at least a couple more track days on this set before they won't pass tech. But I have a spare rear wheel with a new Avon mounted so I don't have to sweat failing tech or have to buy a new tire until I get all the miles out of the one I run on the street.

Even the harder Avon ST series I'm running now is adequate on the track for somone at the intermediate level. When I change them, it will be to the more performance oriented SP series (Avon Azarro).

Just make sure you are running matched tires front and rear and lower your pressure to about 30/30 to start with, and you should be good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts