Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Monster to the track this year and really liked it. [thumbsup] I plan on going again, but if this track bug becomes more serious, I'm thinking of getting a more track oriented ride. I really dragged the pegs on the Monster a bit. My prefernces are to keep it in the family (i.e. Ducati), and I also want to up the power a bit (no FZ400's or anything). But I am open to other brands as well.
I think that Superbikes are going to be a stretch, they're all $8,000 and up and I dont think I want to do anything as 'old' as an 888. I would really love to do any of the 916-998's. But price ...
I've also been thinking about a SuperSport (I am a fan of air cooled 2v's). Those seems to go from $3.5k to $9k. Certianly more afordable.
Lastly, Honda's seems to be an option as well, easy to find, affordable, and well rounded to the point of being vanilla.
I know this seems rather open ended, but I'm just not sure which way to go. So floor's open, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'll give you my opinion. Get a 2000+ Honda F4, re-spring/valve the suspension and get the sag right, get a Scotts rotary damper, and some sticky tires and have a blast. IMO, it's the best track day bike ever, for anyone other than a true expert. Quick enough, great brakes, dead stable at insane lean angles, comfortable and forgiving, forgiving, forgiving. Huge fun to be had. Sure the liter bikes will smoke you on the straights, but nothing's more fun than passing them back in the infield.

The only negative is that the stock exhaust will drag on right handers, but this is only a problem if you're doing track days at a track with noise restrictions that require you to run the stock can. Otherwise, put a high slip on can and take off the curb feelers and you can go full knee to ankle on the ground with no clearance problems.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If it's a Ducati you're looking for and you're price sensitive, you could get an older 748 for like $6k. Any SS would go much cheaper, but they'll be down on power to liquid cooled, 4V bikes. Ducs are fun on the track, but they're going to cost more $ to maintain, to purchase, and to replace bits when/if you crash. One of the local DMLers may be selling his already-crashed/track-ready 916 if he starts racing this year and buys a different bike. I bet you could get it for a decent price.

If by "in the family", you mean a twin, then there are some good deals out there to be had on track/race ready SV650. They're a common race bike and you can pick one one up for $3-4K with spares and bells and whistles.

If you're willing to open up what you're looking for to include non-Ducs and non-twins, there are a world of track bikes out there that would be a hoot to ride. I bought an r6 for my first track bike. It was a great purchase.

Alternatively you could do what I did this past year-- buy a buncha Ninja 250s. They're basically disposable, they blow the doors off a lawnmover, and will give a gas-powered scooter a run for its money. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spidey said:
Alternatively you could do what I did this past year-- buy a buncha Ninja 250s. They're basically disposable, they blow the doors off a lawnmover, and will give a gas-powered scooter a run for its money. [thumbsup]
[laugh] [laugh] That is too funny. Thanks for the advice. I thought about the SV's but what about suspension? Standard fork right? I paddocked next to an F4i and it seemed a decent ride. I think no matter what a track fairing is going to be included in the purchase. There is this great deal on an SS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Ducati-900-SS_W0QQitemZ220063973394QQihZ012QQcategoryZ49991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is not too common but every once and a while a see a deal lke that.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
chipazzo said:
[laugh] [laugh] That is too funny. Thanks for the advice. I thought about the SV's but what about suspension? Standard fork right? I paddocked next to an F4i and it seemed a decent ride. I think no matter what a track fairing is going to be included in the purchase. There is this great deal on an SS:
The stock suspension on an SV needs work. Lots of folks put a gixxer front end on 'em. But you can buy one with the suspension work already done (that's what I meant by race-ready) for $3-4K.

For example, both of these are more pimped than you need for a trackbike and therefore more expensive, but it should give you an idea of what is out there:

1) http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188523

2) http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186313

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Before purchasing my track bike I had the same issues.

Ultimately, I found a 2000 R6, 10K on the clock, clean title, penske shock and rebuilt forks, full set of extra wheels, scotts damper, 1/2 a day of instruction on the tires, blah, blah. The point being that $3400 for this bike was a deal since I didn't need to sink a dime into it to get it on the track. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

I picked it up, warmed it up and rode it that day. Oh yeah, I low sided it that day too :mad:.......but WTF, that's why I didn't use my Monster as a track bike. Not to worry, re-teched and back on the track in the next session.

I love the power on this bike. I rode an SV for my first couple track days, but essentially got tot he point where I was looking fore a bit more zoom zoom.

Whatever you decide, enjoy and have fun!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I'd get a mid-90s SS and put some suspension work into it if you want a duc. They're *awesome* track bikes and simple to work on. Absent that I'd go on the WERA (or CCS) board and look for a used SV race bike (pre-03 if you want reliability.)

In the interest of full disclosure. The stock cans on the SS will drag at a sporting pace & you ought to figure out what you're going to replace them with if you're using it on the track. It's managable if you hang off--just another data point.

--Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm picking up a stock SV for 2300, I'll have some suspension work done and have a blast on the track. As for more zoom zoom just use the brakes less and carry more speed.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
For the sake of debate, I think you can get into trouble with any bike. I can crash a Vespa with the best of them.

After weighing the merits of the twin vs. I4 for the track, I went with I4 based on power to weight, versatility and durability (24K in between valve adjustments, which is nice, because there are 20 of them).

Also a factor, I already have two twins and a single...variety is the spice of life....iddn't it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tsd345 said:
I can crash a Vespa with the best of them.
[laugh] Oh so can I, so can I! ;)
friedduck said:
I'd get a mid-90s SS and put some suspension work into it if you want a duc.
I really had my heart set on a 99-SS900. I met a guy that does AHRMA (¿sp?) races on one similar. I really love the Desmoduo motor. And I think it would be easier to just get a used SS that to fully upgrade the Monster. But plans change quickly. I think I might just stick with the Monster for now. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
555 Posts
Pick up a salvage 2-valve ss or monster prep it your self and beat the snot out of it. [thumbsup]

are you looking to race or just trackdays?
if racing is in the plan buy a bike that is competative or fits a class you want to play in.

If trackdays are the plan buy one that you enjoy...period.
who cares if you get left for dust on the straights? You might so be honest with yourself.
the tracks you will ride may be suited to a big bike ....long straights flowing corners high speeds.
Or they might favor the small bike with tight turns smaller straights.

I personaly prefer to ride a small bike on the track (under 90hp) I feel it is making me keep up cornering speed and work to make clean passes. I do not get to ride with friends (on bigger bikes) when we get to faster tracks, but there is always someone else to play with.

A fuelie ss is a great track bike low maint costs (how many trackdays to get to 6000 miles)
and a fun bike to ride. the monster is just as much fun but needs more work to get to the ss level.
the 4vmotors are better....sorry I own both (prefer 2v) they make more power,smoother power.
they are built to ride the track and the do so well. maint costs are higher as is weight. a 748 with a 853 kit would be a awesome trackbike.

SV650 great bike ( newer ones have been popping crankshafts racing) compare with a ss without the cool sound.
cbfzgsxninjas......excelent bikes all. ...... I like ducs. I dont need a excelent bike, I can be passed equally well on a poor one. Its about having fun.
I almost like the ninja 250 idea the best. 250cc 4stroke trackdays anyone?
cheers

G

·
I have a SS750 for $3475 , needs nothing, runs perfect, fuel injected. Yellow, half fairing. I see you are in NJ, I am down south, but may be going back to Boston a couple of weeks and it fits inside my van.? Email me for pic's if you want. I ended up with a 900SP for my play bike, but this one is sweet too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about a Hawk GT? I'm also looking for a track-day bike, and it seems like the managability of the (perhaps underpowered) Hawk would allow a novice track-dayer to learn with ease. I used to own one, and i like the idea that it handles like an elementary monster (engine braking, gearing, etc). Anyone have any experience with this, or is an older bike like this a maintenance nightmare?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts